The Journey

by John Pritchard | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by TempleCloud of Radstock, Somerset United Kingdom on 1/30/2024
Journal Entry 1 by TempleCloud from Radstock, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
PDB11 and I read this as our Lent study book this year. I have a patchy record of sticking with Bible study books, but this one worked much better than most. It's a retelling of Luke's gospel describing the last few weeks of Jesus's life from the point of view of one of his disciples, as Jesus and his followers travel to Jerusalem for the last time. I don't always feel comfortable reading the gospels (as I tend to interpret Jesus's words in the harshest, most condemning way possible), but this book offers a very believable but sympathetic view of him.

As a Lent book, it is intended to be read, one short section a day, in the six and a half weeks leading up to Easter (so, this year, starting on 14th February). Each section retells a short episode in Jesus's life, and then offers questions for reflection or (if you're reading this as a group) discussion. For each Sunday, there is a poem by a different poet, including the distinguished Welsh poet R. S. Thomas, though my favourite was 'Ballad of the Judas Tree' by Ruth Etchells, picturing reconciliation between Jesus and Judas.

I hope you find this book as helpful as I did. If it's partway through Lent, or way past Easter, when you pick it up, don't worry - it's still worth reading.

Released 2 mos ago (1/31/2024 UTC) at Ashwick and Oakhill Community Café in Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom

On the shelves. Thanks, Temple