Daughter of Smoke and Bone

by Laini Taylor | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cluricaune of Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on 1/28/2024
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on Sunday, January 28, 2024
Laini Taylor was born in 1971 in California, and graduated from Berkley in 1994. She is best known for her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" was first published in 2011.

Karou is seventeen yeras old, and is studying at the Art Lyceum in Prague. A talented and imaginative artist - her artpads are admired by all who know her - she is also stylish, beautiful and multilingual. Her one true friend is Zuzana, a fellow art student - but not even Zuzana has scratched the surface of Karou's life. Karou lives alone and knows nothing of her family history - occasionally, when necessary, she'll mention a fictitious grandmother. (She is generally able to avoid answering questions on the topic). The truth is that Karou was raised in a workshop on another world, Eretz, by four chimera - with Brimstone, the workshop's owner, acting as a father figure. She is able to travel to Brimstone's workshop through a portal in Prague, and visits regularly. In fact there are many such portals, around our world and Karou's errands for Brimstone see her travel far and wide.

Unfortunately - although Karou doesn't realise it - there has been quite a bit of trouble in Erez this last thousand years or so. That trouble is now about to spill over into Karou's human world - and she will be facing it alone.

There is quite a bit about this book to like - the first half of this book was very strong, with likeable characters and a strong sense of mystery. It did fizzle out a bit for me though...everthing became a little obvious, once Akiva was introduced. I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt, and hope that it's maybe setting things up for the second and third books in the series. (I'll only know if that's the case, though, if I decide to read those books). Not a bad book overall but, for me, it didn't quite live up to its promise.

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune at Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on Sunday, January 28, 2024
To the finder:

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Some faqs : http://www.bookcrossing.com/faqs

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at Hotel Merkur in Praha 1, Praha Czech Republic on Saturday, March 2, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/2/2024 UTC) at Hotel Merkur in Praha 1, Praha Czech Republic

In the foyer.