That Bear Ate My Pants!

by Tony James Slater | Travel |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/18/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 18, 2024
I got this softcover from the ongoing book sale at the Nashua Public Library, and was delighted to have another release copy. It's a very funny look at the author's stint as a volunteer at an animal rescue preserve in Ecuador. (I first enjoyed the audiobook version narrated by Tim Campbell.)

Tony's style is party-boy/wacky with considerable snark thrown in - and with a fondness for confessing just how clumsy, careless, and/or unlucky he can be, all to hilarious effect. Heck, the book opens with a page headed "other books by this author" - and it's blank, save for a footnote saying "What can I say? I'm working on it".

The adventure begins when Tony, having been struggling to kickstart a career in acting - or a career in anything at all - decides he wants some adventure, but on a budget, and comes across an animal rescue organization in Ecuador that invited volunteer help. He volunteered, and somewhat to his surprise was accepted (this should have been a warning), and lo! he's in Ecuador, coping with the altitude - and the impressive amount of animal dung that he'll have to remove from the cages and, often, from his person.

We meet his fellow volunteers, the rescue-center staff, and the resident animals; some of them are meant to be rehabilitated and released into the wild, but some are too badly injured or were raised by humans and aren't suitable for release, so they'll have homes indefinitely. From tiny monkeys to big cats to a tortoise, the place is pretty lively - all the more so when Tony manages to let something out of its enclosure or fail to repair a fence properly or has to climb a tree after yet another escapee. The trouble he gets into is mind-bending, but it's so darned funny I don't even care if he's exaggerating for effect {wry grin}.

He manages to include some touching bits here and there, notably about the animals rescued from pretty grim situations, and about the challenges of keeping the rescue center going. But for the most part it's a slapstick laugh-riot, and I enjoyed it very much.

Tony's adventures continue with Don't Need the Whole Dog! and several more books; perhaps my favorite is Kamikaze Kangaroos! but they're all great fun. [And his web site includes photos from the books, a nice enhancement.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Stack Dr in Bow, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/27/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Stack Dr in Bow, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library (with its handsome wooden bear standing guard); hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for:

** 2024 Wine+Food challenge **

** 2024 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes challenge, for the embedded "ear" in the title **