Purple Hibiscus

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLadyIndigowing of Orange, New South Wales Australia on 1/5/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingLadyIndigowing from Orange, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 5, 2024
Awards
Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction Best Book (nominee)
Booker Prize Best Novel (nominee)
Women's Prize For Fiction Best Novel (nominee)

A haunting tale of an Africa and an adolescence undergoing tremendous changes by a talented young Nigerian writer. Fifteen-year-old Kambili's world is circumscribed by the high walls of her family compound and the frangipani trees she can see from her bedroom window. Her wealthy Catholic father, although generous and well-respected in the community, is repressive and fanatically religious at home. Her life is lived under his shadow and regulated by schedules: prayer, sleep, study, and more prayer. She lives in fear of his violence and the words in her textbooks begin to turn to blood in front of her eyes.

When Nigeria begins to fall apart under a military coup, Kambili's father, involved in mysterious ways with the unfolding political crisis, sends Kambili and her brother away to their aunt's. The house is noisy and full of laughter. Here she discovers love and a life -- dangerous and heathen -- beyond the confines of her father's authority.

The visit will lift the silence from her world and, in time, reveal a terrible, bruising secret at the heart of her family life.

This first novel is about the promise of freedom; about the blurred lines between the old gods and the new; between childhood and adulthood; between love and hatred. An extraordinary debut, Purple Hibiscus is a compelling novel which captures both a country and an adolescence at a time of tremendous change.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, January 6, 2024
i've ordered this wishlist title for a member of oppem's 2024 birthday group

it is her debut novel - well received around the world

ordered from world of books - expected to arrive between 18 jan to 10 feb (coming from the uk)

happy birthday

happy reading
;)

Released 6 mos ago (1/7/2024 UTC) at Oppem's Birthday Group, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

happy birthday

;)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLivrespublicwing at Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Tuesday, March 5, 2024
Thank you so much, dear Ladyindigo, for choosing and ordering this book for me. It already arrived some weeks ago and was stored away. Thanks to your kind PM with the birthday wishes I can do the journal entry now and I‘m already looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLivrespublicwing at Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Friday, March 22, 2024
When I put this title on my wishlist I didn’t even know that this is Adichie’s first novel which is really good for a debut novel. It‘s a heartbreaking family drama, but it’s also a look at politics in Nigeria,social unrest and religious fanaticism ( christianity, not islam for once).
Thanks once again, dear ladyindigo, for ordering this book for my birthday.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLivrespublicwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 11, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This book will travel from France to Finland in order to be released on the book buffet of the 2024 Convention in Tampere. Hopefully it will find a new reader as I think it‘s a very good book

Journal Entry 7 by wingbesonwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024
Had this book recommended to me so it will travel to Sweden with me.