The Space Between Worlds

by Micaiah Johnson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/5/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 5, 2024
I got this softcover from an online seller, after hearing about it from my nephew, who's a friend of the author. It puts an unusual and involving spin on the concept of parallel-worlds/multiverse: here, there's a technology that allows people to be sent to these alternate worlds - but they can only survive there if their counterpart on that world has died. [I found this a bit odd, but there seems to be some kind of spiritual/supernatural aspect to this 'verse on top of the scientific elements, so perhaps it's a smack-down by Nyame, the possibly-real deity of the traversers.]

The side effect of this rule: the corporation that drives these journeys drafts people from the poorest, most disadvantaged areas, on the theory that their dopplegangers on the parallel worlds are less likely to have survived to adulthood. Cold? Yes. True? Also (mostly) yes. Hence the selection of our heroine Cara, who has the fewest living dopplegangers among the 372 known worlds of any other traverser.

Ah, but she has a secret of her own, one that I found quite jaw-dropping. And that's just the beginning... The story follows her traverses and her past, her troubled relationship with the charismatic, powerful, and horrifically abusive Nik Nik, emperor of the badlands that she came from, her carefully-hidden love for her boss Dell - and, eventually, her role in upending the entire traversing industry.

The alternate-world setup is handled deftly here, with some obvious results and some subtle ones. Cara is a prickly, tough protagonist who has made difficult choices all her life in order to survive when the vast majority of other "hers" didn't, and she's often hard to like, but she does go through her own hero's journey in the course of the considerable traumas and shocks of the storyline.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 23, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/23/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the To the Stars: A Science Fiction Bookbox 3.0, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope everyone enjoys the selection!

** Released for the 2024 Science Fiction challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, March 13, 2024
I pulled this book from the "To The Stars" spaceship when it landed at my house! Looking forward to reading it.