The Violin Conspiracy

by Brendan Slocumb | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by mathgirl40 of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 1/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by mathgirl40 from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books for those who want to share the joy of reading. If you find this book, please leave a journal entry to let previous readers know how and where you found the book. Feel free to do this anonymously if you wish. You are welcome to keep the book, but I encourage you to pass it on and let it continue its journey.

Journal Entry 2 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
I discovered this book when it was chosen for the 2023 Tournament of Books and it ended up being one of my favourites of the entire year. I loved its mix of music, mystery and exploration of social issues.

The novel is about a poor Black violinist who, through hard work, mentorship, and the unexpected inheritance of a Stradivarius violin, finds himself poised to conquer the classical music world, until his precious violin is stolen from him.

This story really spoke to me, partly because my younger daughter is an amateur violist and violinist. Though she didn't face nearly as many obstacles or owned anything close to a Stradivarius, many of the scenes were familiar.

Journal Entry 3 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
This is my choice for the Favourite Book of 2023 Roundabout hosted by dark-draco. Here is the reading order:

djf1968
grovalskii
Fifna
Andrasthe
Icila

Journal Entry 4 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 4, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/4/2024 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to djf1968.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
My first book in the Favorite Books of 2023 roundabout has arrived. I'll read it in January and send it off to its next reader.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Saturday, January 20, 2024
This came into my January reading queue through a “book roundabout” I’m participating in, where twelve readers choose the best thing they read in 2023, and each goes to each reader in the circle, over the course of 2024. This probably isn’t a book I would have picked up on my own, but I’m really glad I spent a few days with it.

The author was born in Yuba City, CA. One of my favorite authors loved this book the way I love what that author writes, so I was really looking forward to reading it. It didn’t disappoint. The entire thing… the story itself, the way the author strings words together is positively musical. That probably shouldn’t have surprised me, but it did. Yes, there are slow parts… but they serve to build up to something bigger, stronger, and more resonant. Just like music.

Some of my favorite quotes

"When you begin to hate them just because they hate you, you turn into them. And then they win."

"He would not be ignored or denied or embarrassed ever again: he was a musician, and music had no color."

"Ray would pour himself onto the classical route, which had clear signposts and a yellow line down one side. With jazz, there were no signs; the GPS just said 'Go.'"

"Ray was honored to bring music composed by people who looked like him to people who knew nothing about him."

"What if he just played notes instead of making music?"

"Just remember how much you love playing. That's all you need to do. Stand up there and hold that amazing gift your grandmother gave you and just love the music you're playing."

"Music is about communication—a way of touching your fellow man beyond and above and below language; it is a language all its own."

Journal Entry 7 by wingdjf1968wing at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 20, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (1/21/2024 UTC) at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next reader... enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Now in Seattle!
Can't wait to dig into a book that would't've been on my radar were it not for this roundabout :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
I enjoyed learning about yet another thing I didn't know I didn't know, in this microhistory presented as a whodunit. The author masterfully described the poetry one feels in hearing a good violinist and, I imagine, in creating that music. His experiences as an educator are showcased in the emphasis on support and fostering talent. Also underscored, but not surprising, was the lack of representation in classical music, particularly of Black artists. Where it was a little weak for me was the actual mystery. But that's neither here nor there, as the story unfolded at a good clip.

Journal Entry 10 by wingechodewing at Favourite Book Roundabout, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 1, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/1/2024 UTC) at Favourite Book Roundabout, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This is off to 39301, enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Arrived to my postal box! What a great looking cover!

Journal Entry 12 by wing39301wing at Book Relay, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2024 UTC) at Book Relay, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

An enjoyable read. I gained insight into the privileged world of classical music and how underrepresented people of color are. I really like the main character and empathize with the difficulties he faced growing his career in music.
I agree the mystery was the weakest part of the story. However, I appreciate the author's efforts to provide a perspective into his own life's journey because he is also a classical musician.

Journal Entry 13 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, March 2, 2024
I received this book today. I did read this last year for my book group and found the mystery aspect of the book overshadowed the good parts of the book. Not my favorite.

Journal Entry 14 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 15, 2024
Arrived this morning.

Journal Entry 15 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 14, 2024
Another new to me author discovered with the favourites roundabout. As so often on this journey I learned much and greatly appreciated the quality of the characters and story telling. Thank you for the introduction Mathgirl40.

Released 2 days ago (4/14/2024 9:00 PM UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going in the post to the next in line.