West Jerusalem Noir

by Maayan Eitan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingdacejavwing of Tbilisi, Tbilisi Georgia on 1/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingdacejavwing from Tbilisi, Tbilisi Georgia on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
In West Jerusalem Noir—published simultaneously with East Jerusalem Noir—the Akashic Noir Series visits one of the world's most complex locales, in this volume from the perspective of Israeli writers.

"This anthology offers a fictional tour of Jerusalem, this time through the lens of the noir genre. Not all the stories in this book include a detective, a femme fatale, or a dead body. In fact, a significant number of the writers chose to avoid these genre staples. And yet the stories—each taking place in a different part of the city—sketch a dark imagined map of the city, where religious mystery dwells alongside the quotidian, claustrophobic hubbub of the Central Bus Station . . . The stories included in West Jerusalem Noir could not have taken place anywhere else. They reflect national, religious, and socioeconomic tensions inherent to the city and sketch an image of a concrete, contemporary, and complicated Jerusalem."

Journal Entry 2 by wingdacejavwing at Tbilisi, Tbilisi Georgia on Thursday, January 4, 2024
I liked it and it really gave a very complex glimpse of this very complex place. I think you really need to be a Jerusalemite to understand it fully and I probably only got a fraction. I feared it would be too Zionist and nationalist, but it wasn't or at least for me it didn't feel so. Short stories are always a mixed bag and some I liked more than others. My favorites were "You Can't See the Occupation From Here" by Ilana Bernstein and "Chrysanthemus" by Asaf Schurr.

These Akashic Noir series are to look out for - they cover so many places already!

Journal Entry 3 by wingdacejavwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

I'm leaving it at the book buffet.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing
dacejav (or any of the other journalers) as referring you.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, April 22, 2024
Taken from the buffet - I'm pretty sure I haven't read anything that fits the definiton of "West Jerusalem Noir" before!