The Hollow Places

by T. Kingfisher | Horror |
Registered by Andrasthe of Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on 12/27/2023
Journal Entry 1 by Andrasthe from Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Wednesday, December 27, 2023

"Pray they are hungry.
Kara finds the words in the mysterious bunker that she’s discovered behind a hole in the wall of her uncle’s house. Freshly divorced and living back at home, Kara now becomes obsessed with these cryptic words and starts exploring this peculiar area ..."

The story had issues for sure. Still, it is a great, quirky, weird read full of awful scenes and horrible, intrusive imagery. Although it wasn't a particular scary read for me, it had a few scenes so creepy, I had to put the book away for a few breathes, then pick it up again. That one animal comes sneaking into my mind months after reading this ;)

Should you be interested, the story is inspired by Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" (1907)

I loved Beau and the descriptions of the taxidermy (freaky!).

Journal Entry 2 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/2/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

This is my pick for the Favourite Book OF 2023 Roundabout!

Please send onwards in the following order:

Mathgirl40 <=
estelle1806
grovalskii
fifna
Icilia

Journal Entry 3 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 18, 2024
This book has arrived in Canada! I am a big fan of T. Kingfisher (a.k.a. Ursula Vernon) and this is one of her books I've not read yet, so I am looking forward to it. Thanks, Andrasthe for sending this book along with the labels and bookmark!

Journal Entry 4 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 5, 2024
I enjoyed this novel and found it to be more entertaining and less dark than some of the other cosmic horror novels I'd read in the past. I liked all the characters too, even the stuffed dead ones! I've not read The Willows, that this story gets its inspiration from, but I've put it on my reading list.

Thank you, Andrasthe, for contributing this book to the roundabout!

Journal Entry 5 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 5, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/6/2024 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to djf1968 now!

Journal Entry 6 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
From Austria by way of Canada, Andrasthe's book has arrived in Northern California. Neither an author nor a genre I've got much experience with (which is one of the things I enjoy about this roundabout). I won't get to it until next week, but I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Monday, February 26, 2024
Horror and fantasy aren’t my genres, but on the heels of an epic 600 page biography, this was exactly the kind of mental shift I needed. Several of the pop culture references go over my 55 year old head, but I added Bambi, Watership Down and The Portrait of Dorian Gray to my “I need to revisit that'' list before I got to page 20.

As I continued, I know I missed a lot. But there are lots of layers, and even as I concluded “I’m not getting this, and I’m not going to,” I could appreciate the writing, the imagery, and a lot of the humor. It never horrified me in the traditional sense, although I found myself kind of grossed out more than once. I’m glad it came to me, even if I still don’t understand it.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Uncle Earl believes strongly in Jesus, Moses, the healing power of crystals, the Freemasons, the Illuminati, that aliens landed in Roswell but the government is suppressing it, secret histories, faith healing, snake-handling, that there is an invention that will replace gasoline but the oil companies are suppressing it, chemtrails, demon possession, the astonishing powers of Vicks VapoRub, and that there's proof that aliens contacted the Mayans and the Aztecs and probably the Egyptians, but the scientists are suppressing it."

"Panic was definitely called for right now, but for some reason, if there are two people, only one of you panics at a time."

"Pray that they are hungry."

"No matter where you go, the Jesuits got there first."

"He stirred the sand, and if it were a horror movie, at that point a monster the size of a Buick should have leaped out of the ground, but this wasn't a movie and reality has no sense of dramatic timing."

"You're from Florida. There's got to be more holes to hell in Florida than any other state."

"I am not a glass-punching person. I design logos. Those are two very different skill sets."

Journal Entry 8 by wingdjf1968wing at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 26, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/26/2024 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending this on to the next reader in the Favourite Books of 2023 roundabout. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, March 2, 2024
This has landed in chilly Seattle, a perfect setting for a creepy read! If it's anything like this author's other book The Twisted Ones, I'll only be able to handle it in the daytime...

Journal Entry 10 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, March 11, 2024
Oh this was fun! I liked all the humans and all the animals portrayed here. It doesn't take long for the book to answer why I'd want to "pray that They are hungry", and after that I was just along for the ride.
The contrived coping mechanisms for fear, the ridiculous ex-husband, and Simon's eye of questionable origin were all very entertaining. For me, this was less horror and more Buffy the Vampire Slayer shenanigans.

Journal Entry 11 by wingechodewing at a friend , by hand -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/14/2024 UTC) at a friend , by hand -- Controlled Releases

Passing off to the next reader 39301 over some drinks & chow!

Journal Entry 12 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, March 14, 2024
Received this book from @echode when we met up at Delancey restaurant and had delicious pizza. We were inspired by the book chosen by @djf1968 for the best of 2023!!

Journal Entry 13 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, March 15, 2024
I almost never read horror so this was a nice change for me.
I know this book was supposed to be creepy and scary, but it totally went campy for me a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is why I took off a few points for my rating.
On the other hand, if the Wonder Museum ever existed in real life, I'd love to visit! One of my favorite quirky shops in San Francisco is Paxton Gate, which has taxidermy and cool carnivorous plants for sale. Look it up sometime... I think if Uncle Earl opened up a shop, he'd have something like it.

Journal Entry 14 by wing39301wing at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/16/2024 UTC) at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending this on for the next reader in the roundabout!

Journal Entry 15 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, March 19, 2024
I've now received this book. I can't say horror stories are at the top of my hit parade. I'll withhold judgement until I've read...probably in the next two weeks.

Journal Entry 16 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, April 7, 2024
Although not a genre I'm familiar with, I found this book entertaining and intriguing. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the book and the humor juxtaposed with the horror made this an adventure. Love this Roundabout where I get to experience so many different kinds of books.

Journal Entry 17 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, April 7, 2024

Released 1 wk ago (4/9/2024 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Sending this along to the next reader.

Journal Entry 18 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, April 15, 2024
Arrived this morning. Doesn’t sound like my cup of tea but if there’s quirky humour I may just be saved! Let’s see.