The Foundling

by Stacey Halls | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 12/23/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 23, 2023
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 23, 2023
London, 1754. Six years after leaving her illegitimate daughter Clara at London's Foundling Hospital, Bess Bright returns to reclaim the child she has never known. Dreading the worst, that Clara has died in care, Bess is astonished to be told she has already claimed her. Her life is turned upside down as she tried to find out who has taken her little girl - and why. Less than a mile from Bess's lodgings in the city, a rich young widow has not left her house in a decade. When she is asked to hire a nursemaid for her daughter, she is hesitant to welcome someone new into her home and her life. But her past is threatening to catch up with her and tear her carefully constructed world apart...

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 23, 2023
I read this away back in May but it appears I forgot, not just to do a journal entry, but to register it. That said, I can't give a detailed review but safe to say it has stuck in my mind and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 6, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (1/5/2024 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Selected this book as my Favourite Book of 2023. This had to be my third choice as I forgot I borrowed my favourite and couldn't get a copy in time. Then my second favourite was just too big to post. I hope its's not one people have read already.

Participants are as follows:-
39301
valpete
cross-patch
dark-draco

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 8, 2024
It's arrived, thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
I read this one a while ago with my book group and enjoyed it. Here's my review:

Giving birth out of wedlock in 1754, Bess Bright has to give up her daughter to a foundling hospital, where the girl will be brought up and trained to be a maid. Bess saves for six long years to afford to get her daughter back, only to be told that someone claiming to be her has already taken her. Meanwhile a rich young widow, housebound due to her traumatic past, is persuaded to take on a nursemaid for her young daughter. This made me think of the story in Ron Butlin's Ghost Moon which tells about a young woman forced to give up her baby and similarly finding it impossible to afford to get it back in the 1950s, not so long ago. Halls gives a good description of the different circumstances of the two women, of the hardships of working as a shrimp hawker, of how Bess is better off than many. I find the ending a bit unbelievable though.

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (1/10/2024 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to estelle1806 who is next in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 8 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, January 16, 2024
Received, thank you. Will have to wait a bit I have other books being read at present...

Journal Entry 9 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, February 3, 2024
I enjoyed this historical fiction quite a good bit, with a plot well thought out and executed.
Didn't warm too much to any of the characters but knowing the story was inspired by a real event and settings made it a little bit more touching and emotional.
Liked the ending and also the cover art.
Thanks for sharing, earthcaroleanne!

Released 3 mos ago (2/6/2024 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany

On its way to grovalskii.

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 11 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, February 27, 2024
This was a very easy-going read. I'm not sure if Stacey Halls writes with a YA audience in mind, but it sure felt like it. Which is not bad, it just made for some pretty easy reading. The story was nice enough, the ending rather too far fetched.

The book will travel to the next reader tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 6, 2024
Arrived today, thanks grovalskii! I enjoyed The Familiars, which I think we read in the roundabout too, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 1, 2024
I read and enjoyed The Familiars, by the same author, a while back (possibly also in the roundabout), and I think I enjoyed this one even more. The ending was indeed a bit unbelievable, but I didn't really mind that. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by wingFifnawing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, April 8, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/8/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

Travelling to Andrasthe.

Journal Entry 15 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Saturday, April 13, 2024
Arrived

Journal Entry 16 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Saturday, May 11, 2024
This was a fairly quick read. The plot was engaging, if a bit predictable and I enjoyed the descriptions of historic London with its people and challenges very much.

What I disliked, though, was the neat wrap-up at the end. Where did that godsend Lyle come from so quickly. Why was his relationship with Bess told just as he needed to help the plot along? Why is Bess able to leave London without any trouble after having been a wanted criminal? What about Abe? And what about the fine doctor's financial trouble? Questions, questions, ...

Apart from the ending, I was well entertained and kept rooting for Bess to be reunited with her daughter.