Happy International BookCrossing Day!
It's a special day for BookCrossing and we hope you'll make it a good one. Ballycumber just posted a short message in the Announcements forum, you can read it here.

Silver Birch, Blood Moon

by Ellen Datlow | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BarkLessWagMore of Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on 12/15/2023
Journal Entry 1 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 15, 2023
I will leave this in a LFL soon.

Journal Entry 2 by BarkLessWagMore at LFL - Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 5, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/3/2024 UTC) at LFL - Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Left inside the Little Free Library.

If you've found it Welcome to Bookcrossing!
I hope you enjoy it and thanks for making a journal entry. When you are finished reading it please click "new journal entry" again and add any comments you'd like to share. If you decide to keep it that's fine by me, if you decide pass it along, please click "release book" so we can both follow its journey. You can leave it wherever you choose. I have decent luck leaving my books on top of drive-by mail boxes (with the flat tops), on benches, in lobbies and at gas pumps but I also pass many on to fellow readers. If you'd like to join bookcrossing I'd be thrilled if you'd use my BC name, BarkLessWagMore, as the referring member.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 5, 2024
I was pleased to find this in the LFL when I stopped by today. The iconic Tom Canty cover illustration caught my eye, and as this is one of the Datlow/Windling fairy-tale-retelling anthologies that I hadn't already read, I pounced on it. [The first in the series, Snow White, Blood Red, had some gems; I hope this one does too!]

Later: A very good anthology indeed! I enjoyed nearly everything, so it was hard to choose favorites, but the ones that topped the list include:

Tanith Lee's "Kiss Kiss," a riff on the "Frog Prince" - and which resonated with all the tales in which the main character falls in love with someone in beastly/cursed/aged form, and is rewarded when their beloved returns to beautiful-human shape - as if loving the beast no longer counts.

"The Price" by Patricia Briggs upends the "Rumpelstiltskin" story in a very charming way.

"Precious" by Nalo Hopkinson deals with the perils of being "blessed" by having jewels and flowers drop from one's lips as one speaks. The greedy, abusive, stalker who's after our heroine does eventually get his comeuppance, thankfully!

Melissa Lee Shaw's "The Sea Hag" flips "The Little Mermaid" - the focus is on the "hag," who is also the mother of the mermaids, her power stolen by the human man she loved. She tries to warn her daughter about the perils of loving a mortal - and the agonies she'll have to undergo to even hope to be with him - but of course the girl doesn't listen. The story takes some interesting turns, and I was pleased with the outcome.

"Ivory Bones" by Susan Wade is a chilling tale inspired by "Thumbelina," but from the viewpoint of the "mole" - and with a hint of "My Last Duchess". {shudder}

Another chiller, even more gruesome, is Pat York's "You Wandered Off Like a Foolish Child to Break Your Heart and Mine" - it's told from the viewpoint of a queen whose son was among the many princes that attempted to get through the wall of thorns to awaken Sleeping Beauty. But in this story, the princes don't merely get stuck in the thorns and starve - no, they're captured by the thorns but kept alive and in agony. If they have loved ones who are willing to brave the thorns to give them food and water, they might live for years... And no, even the boldest of their loved ones can't do serious harm to the thorns; anything beyond tiny, careful pruning will result in the thorns doing even more harm. It's a nightmarish setup indeed!

Much more lighthearted is "Arabian Phoenix" by India Edghill, in which the "1,001 Tales of the Arabian Nights" get a modern update - and a delightfully surprising twist as to the reasons behind all those short-term wives.

Very good anthology here!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 16, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/16/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Books I've Read and Journaled Bookbox #3 (mailing order in the forum thread); bookbox journal with my selections here.

Released for:

** 2024 Asian Zodiac Year of the Dragon challenge, for "moon" **

** 2024 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes challenge **

** 2024 Keep Them Moving challenge. **

Journal Entry 5 by winghaahaahaa98wing at Books I Have Actually Read, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 22, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2024 UTC) at Books I Have Actually Read, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Received, and passing along, in the "Books I've Read" Bookbox.