Kiki man Ray

by Mark Braude | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingIcilawing of Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on 12/12/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 12, 2023
A dazzling portrait of Paris’s forgotten artist and cabaret star, whose incandescent life asks us to see the history of modern art in new ways. In freewheeling 1920s Paris, Kiki de Montparnasse captivated as a nightclub performer, sold out gallery showings of her paintings, starred in Surrealist films, and shared drinks and ideas with the likes of Jean Cocteau and Marcel Duchamp. Her best-selling memoir―featuring an introduction by Ernest Hemingway―made front-page news in France and was immediately banned in America. All before she turned thirty. Kiki was once the symbol of bohemian Paris. But if she is remembered today, it is only for posing for several now-celebrated male artists, including Amedeo Modigliani and Alexander Calder, and especially photographer Man Ray. Why has Man Ray’s legacy endured while Kiki has become a footnote?

Journal Entry 2 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 26, 2023
The résumé is accurate. Very interesting time-capsule when the small Montparnasse quarter was the center of the Arts.
A mistake though : Raymond Radiguet didn't die of tuberculosis but of a typhoid fever not diagnosed by Cocteau's doctor. A genius dead at 20 of an easy curable disease.

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 16, 2024
My choice for the 2023 Roundabout.
Order :

estelle1806
grovalskii
fifna
Andrasthe
No need to send it back to Icila.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Released 6 mos ago (1/16/2024 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Canada, I hope that you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 28, 2024
This book has arrived in Canada!

Journal Entry 6 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 22, 2024
I found this biography to be a fascinating read. Kiki's personality and life story were certainly interesting, but what I enjoyed even more was learning about the development of the arts and the vibrant artists' community in Montparnasse in the 1920's. One thing that did surprise me was how horrible Kiki's husband Man Ray was!

Thank you, Icilia, for providing this book to the roundabout!

Journal Entry 7 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (2/24/2024 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to djf1968 now!

Journal Entry 8 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, March 12, 2024
Icila's choice for best of 2023 has arrived in Northern California. I'm looking forward to learning more about Kiki.

Journal Entry 9 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, April 9, 2024
This came to me in a “best of 2023 roundabout,” where 13 people around the world picked their favorite read in 2023, and it circles the globe to twelve new readers over the course of 2024. I knew nothing about Kiki or Man Ray, and precious little about the art scene in Paris in the 1920s.

Man Ray is an American photographer exploring his art in Paris, and Kiki is a model and a muse, described as a historical figure who constantly appears in the margins of other people's stories. I knew I was going to like Kiki when my first “favorite quote” appeared on page 1. I’m still not sure how I feel about Man Ray. I wish the author had included additional images and perhaps a map or two... I would have liked to have seen Montparnasse and all of its colorful residents. I’m glad this book came my way.

My favorite quotes

"She knows when to purr, when to growl, is an expert in the well-placed sneer."

"It was simple enough, sitting, standing, lying there, becoming another version of yourself while someone watched."

"History seemed to be nothing more than coming up with new names for old things."

"Kings and queens come and go, but the clever jester keeps laughing through several regimes."

"He was very happy being an amateur. He loved film as a medium, not as a profession."

"She may have been in the fast life, but she was never of it."

"They turned me into an image: 'Kiki.' And I was obligated to live up to it, even when I didn't feel like it."

"We laughed, mon Dieu, how we laughed."

Journal Entry 10 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, April 13, 2024
Arrived in Seattle! PS I already love the quotes picked out by @djf1968!

Journal Entry 11 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, April 21, 2024
Wow, a fun book for me. I had not heard of Kiki de Montparnasse or Man Ray before, but I recognize her famous photos. Not a fan of Man Ray and his horrible abusive behavior. I loved learning about the bohemian art scene in 1920s Paris, something I knew little about before this book. I also would have loved to see Kiki's performances in real life. Thanks for sharing this read! I'm going to check out this movie about Kiki:

Journal Entry 12 by wing39301wing at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 25, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (4/25/2024 UTC) at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Handing this off to @echode when she gets back from her BC convention related travels!

Journal Entry 13 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 7, 2024
Received from 39301. It should move fairly quickly as I'd cheated and started the audio version during my travels (so as not to slow the roundabout 🙏��)

Journal Entry 14 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 8, 2024
A heady romp in one of my favorite eras, the Roaring 20s, but through the mistreatments to one Kiki de Montparnasse. I'd never heard of Kiki, and am now left wondering about the stories of the women behind other iconic paintings & photographs...

Released 2 mos ago (5/11/2024 UTC) at Favourite Book Roundabout, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next reader, valpete!

Journal Entry 16 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2024
I really enjoyed this book. I was fascinated about Kiki de Montparnasse, an impoverished, illegitimate child from the French countryside who moved to Paris and had roughly a nine year run at fame, largely through her association with the American expatriate photographer and artist, Man Ray. I also loved learning about this era in the art world. A great contribution to this year's Roundabout.

Journal Entry 17 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 18 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 7, 2024
Arrived. Thank you

Journal Entry 19 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 27, 2024
How can a character so fascinating disappear from our consciousness so totally? It’s complicated, and this biography makes a good fist of presenting her story and that of her bohemian surroundings and friends. Thank you for sharing this instructive book, although I did find it a bit of a chore to plough through it all.

Released 3 wks ago (7/1/2024 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Travelling on in the Favourite for 2023 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 21 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 6, 2024
Received… thank you.

Journal Entry 22 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 14, 2024
Not really one for me ... I quite liked the writing style, but struggled to get into Kiki's story. I only tend to read biographies of people I know or admire ... or feature in one of my areas of interest. Sadly, not having heard of Kiki, nor being that interested in modern art, I found myself losing interest. Time to move on to something more up my street.

Planned Release in 4 hrs (7/23/2024 4:00 PM UTC) at Favourite Book of the Year Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader