The Case of the 'Hail Mary' Celeste

by Malcolm Pryce | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9781408851975 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingrussbaumwing of Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on 12/9/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingrussbaumwing from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 9, 2023
Jack Wenlock is the last of the Railway Goslings: that fabled cadre of railway detectives created at the Weeping Cross Railway Servants' Orphanage, who trod the corridors of the GWR trains in the years 1925 to 1947. Sworn to uphold the name of God's Wonderful Railway, Jack keeps the trains free of fare dodgers and purse-stealers, bounders and confidence tricksters, German spies and ladies of the night.

But now, as the clock ticks down towards the nationalisation of the railways Jack finds himself investigating a case that begins with an abducted great aunt, but soon develops into something far darker and more dangerous. It reaches up to the corridors of power and into the labyrinth of the greatest mystery in all the annals of railway lore - the disappearance in 1915 of twenty-three nuns from the 7.25 Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads, or the case of the 'Hail Mary' Celeste.

Shady government agents, drunken riverboat captains, a missing manuscript and a melancholic gorilla all collide on a journey that will take your breath away.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrussbaumwing at Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 9, 2023
Welcome to BookCrossing! The home of travelling books...

Thank you so much for picking up this book and visiting the website. Please make a journal entry here on this page if you haven’t already done so to let me know that this book has found a good home.

If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free, confidential, you are only known by your screen name and your e-mail address is never given out) please say "russbaum" sent you.

I really hope you enjoy the book you found! When you’re done reading it, you can make another journal entry with your comments here to let me know what you thought of it.

You can keep the book forever and ever or pass it on to someone else. If you’re giving it to someone directly, make another journal entry saying so. If you choose to leave it somewhere “in the wild” for anyone to catch, make release notes that indicate where you left it. If you register, you will be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry.

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Happy Book-crossing...

I desperately need space in my house so the book has to go. It's not on any wishlists so I am leaving it in the Little Free Library near my office.