Swell

by Ioanna Karystiani | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781933372983 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on 12/9/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on Saturday, December 9, 2023
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" The moment of reckoning has come for Captain Mitsos Avgustis. After twelve years at sea it is time to go home to the island on which he was born: home to his wife Flora, his two daughters, his son, a granddaughter he has never met, and Litsa, his lover from all those years ago; a modern-day Penelope awaiting the return of her Ulysses. It will take all Avgustis's courage and strength to face the squalls and storms on land after a lifetime at sea - and all the while, he must resist the ocean's siren song bidding him return, tempting him back to the cargo vessel, the Athos III, that he so reluctantly left. It is there that his demons lurk, there that his terrible secrets are buried, there that his true home lies.
Statuesque like Poseidon, gruff yet tender, a true legend of the seven seas, Avgustis will learn that no matter how many or how varied one's experiences of life have been, there is always something new to learn. And the price of learning certain lessons so late in life can be terribly steep. He will seek comfort in the gentle rolling of the ocean's swell and the silent currents that have healed sailors' wounds since time immemorial.
A sweeping saga about love and hope set in modern-day Greece, Swell is Karistiani's most moving and gripping novel yet. (From the publisher) "

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue its journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on Saturday, December 9, 2023
I've read this book many years ago in Greek and I was curious to see how it feels in English translation.

I admit I have a love-hate relationship with Ioanna Karystiani. She is a very talented person, using a very unique writting style. Her prose is flowery, poetic and very long-winded, often using beautiful local expressions and words. She is very descriptive too and somehow she has the ability to create the feeling of an era, place or person simply by describing the colour of the sea or the movement of one's hands to pick up a coffee cup.

The problem is that often she 's overdoing it and while her books always draw the reader, they need lots of focus and persistence. At parts some sentences are so long that one has to read them twice in order to make sense, while her descriptions of incidences or scenes down to last detail may get on one's nerves after a while.

Swell features an interesting setting and theme and is quite moving at parts, but I think it's one of the more far-fetched premises Karystiani ever thought and it gets too tedious, especially in the middle of the book. It doesn't avoid some hyperbole and far-fetched developments towards the end either.

Talking about this specific edition, I doubt if someone starting reading the book will make much sense at first. It's extremely hard to translate Karystiani's prose and although the translator did his best, the language feels weird to say the least. If one persists though, I think s/he will get used to it and get into the story.

A thing that I found completely unacceptable in this edition is the lack of footnotes. Been Greek my self, I'm aware of some terminology, names, historical facts and cultural feedback, but a non-Greek might often scratch his/her head every now and then while reading the book.

All in all, this is a controversial author and a controversial book. So let us know what you make out of it : )

Released somewhere in Piraeus port.

Good Luck my book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!