The Dig

by John Preston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/4/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 4, 2023
I got this softcover at a local Barnes and Noble, for another release copy. (It inspired a 2021 film adaptation.)

It's a lightly-fictionalized version of the story behind the excavation at Sutton Hoo, which revealed Anglo-Saxon treasures that are mind-boggling in their intricacy and beauty. (I've seen some of the pieces in the British Museum and was utterly rapt.)

The story itself is told from different viewpoints: the amateur archaeologist tasked with exploring the mounds, the landowner (a widow with a young son and a belief in spiritualism), a young woman who's a professional archaeologist, and a few others. This provides some interest beyond the dig itself, but... I admit I was a bit puzzled at some of the incidents, which hinted (if vaguely) at possible supernatural elements, though nothing came of that. Even the looming WWII barely affected the story. An interesting snapshot of a specific time and place, and an epic historical find - but low-key and quiet...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the film and novel, with some interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/23/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer perryfran to fill a wish, for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2024
Thanks for sending me this wishlist book. I became interested in the dig at Sutton Hoo after reading The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. Looking forward to reading this.