Temporary People

by Deepak Unnikrishnan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1632061422 Global Overview for this book
Registered by grovalskii of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 11/5/2023
Journal Entry 1 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, November 5, 2023
from amazon.de:
In the United Arab Emirates, foreign nationals constitute over 80 percent of the population. Brought in to construct the towering monuments to wealth that punctuate the skylines of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, this labor force works without the rights of citizenship, endures miserable living conditions, and is ultimately forced to leave the country. Until now, the humanitarian crisis of the so-called “guest workers” of the Gulf has barely been addressed in fiction. With his stunning, mind-altering debut novel Temporary People, Deepak Unnikrishnan delves into their histories, myths, struggles, and triumphs.

Combining the irrepressible linguistic invention of Salman Rushdie and the satirical vision of George Saunders, Unnikrishnan presents twenty-eight linked stories that careen from construction workers who shapeshift into luggage and escape a labor camp, to a woman who stitches back together the bodies of those who’ve fallen from buildings in progress, to a man who grows ideal workers designed to live twelve years and then perish―until they don’t, and found a rebel community in the desert. With this polyphony, Unnikrishnan brilliantly maps a new, unruly global English. Giving substance and identity to the anonymous workers of the Gulf, he highlights the disturbing ways in which “progress” on a global scale is bound up with dehumanization.

Journal Entry 2 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, November 5, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (11/6/2023 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Personal hand-over during a mini meetup. :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Mitte, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 6, 2023
Thank you so much for this wishlist book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 20, 2023
I didn't really know much about this book when I added it to my wishlist - except that it's set in the Emirates and that it's about Gulf migrant workers. It came as a bit of a surprise that it's not exactly social realism, which I had expected, but rather "social surrealism", or magical realism - or sometimes more of a satire. Some stories I liked, others not very much, some are a bit clumsy, others very good, some rather kafkaesque (hello Gregor Samsa!). At times I wished for a counter story from a female point of view.
However, it's a first novel, so I don't want to judge too much. There is not much literature about Gulf migration, so this is an important collection.
(From now on I'll look with different eyes at cockroaches...)

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Mitte, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (11/29/2023 UTC) at Mitte, Berlin Germany

Back to you with thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 30, 2023
Thank you! Looking forward to reading this.