by Graham Masterton | Horror |
ISBN: 0812521994 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/1/2023
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
I found this paperback on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro MA post office lobby. Masterton's horror novels tend to be pretty lurid, and this one, involving a cursed family portrait, looks to be pretty grisly!

Later: Yup, very grisly indeed, with body-horror as well as psychological and some sexual abuse - though the majority of the tale has to do with a handful of protagonists trying to find out who's been leaving skinned human bodies lying around the Connecticut/New York area. The viewpoint switches between that of the deadly Gray family - who apparently need to perform these torturous murders to maintain themselves - and that of various victims and investigators. There are plenty of little clues up front to hint to the reader as to the origin of the family's evil immortality, and I admit to finding that aspect rather jolly - not least because I'd twigged to the groanworthy pun that the novel only reveals in the final page {wry grin}. [Spoiler: The novel features many in-story nods to Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, including actual involvement of Wilde in the plot itself. Early on, when the action shifts from Europe to Darien, Connecticut, I immediately thought"OK, this is The Picture of the Darien Grays" - and I was right!.]

While I did find much of the story over-the-top for my taste (and also - those poor cats!), I found it involving enough to read in its entirety, and I was definitely pulling for the good guys to find some way of dealing with the very dangerous foes.

Released 1 mo ago (6/14/2024 UTC) at LFL - Thornton Rd (34) Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: