No Friend But the Mountains

by Behrouz Boochani | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 176055538X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingJean-Solwing of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 10/26/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingJean-Solwing from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Winner of The Victorian Prize for Literature, and the Prize for Non-Fiction, Victorian Premier's Literary Awards 2019

Where have I come from? From the land of rivers, the land of waterfalls, the land of ancient chants, the land of mountains...

In 2013, Kurdish journalist Behrouz Boochani was illegally detained on Manus Island. He has been there ever since.

People would run to the mountains to escape the warplanes and found asylum within their chestnut forests...

This book is the result. Laboriously tapped out on a mobile phone and translated from the Farsi. It is a voice of witness, an act of survival. A lyric first-hand account. A cry of resistance. A vivid portrait through five years of incarceration and exile.

Do Kurds have any friends other than the mountains?

Journal Entry 2 by wingJean-Solwing at Riddik Cafe in Templestowe Lower, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (11/2/2023 UTC) at Riddik Cafe in Templestowe Lower, Victoria Australia

To be released at the monthly meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmeganhwing at Oh The Places You’ll Go Street Library in Preston, Victoria Australia on Sunday, December 10, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/10/2023 UTC) at Oh The Places You’ll Go Street Library in Preston, Victoria Australia

Edited 3/ 1/24 Almost a third this heartbreaking story and I need to take a break. The first part of the book was easy to read with the drama of the boat journeys from Indonesia to Australia and the beautiful poetry. But now, it is so depressing; Behrouz telling of the inhumane living conditions on Manus Island is so sad, even down to the details of the malaria bearing mosquitos and the dreadful state of the toilets.
Edited 10/1/24
Finished this book today but what a slog it was. I felt I had to finish it, partly because of the dreadful treatment we dished out to our asylum seekers but also so I could claim it for the 666 reading challenge!
The poetry was good and interspersed throughout the book. I know there was little to do whilst they were incarcerated, but the detail on the queueing for meals and the state of the toilets was never-ending- I was able to visualise these things quite well, so the writer described them well.
I can now say that I have read this award winning book, but it did very much feel like homework rather than easy book to digest.

To the finder of this book -
Please let me and previous readers know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it; you are under no obligation to read it.
Bookcrossing is completely free and anonymous and members have been releasing books all over the world for more than 20 years.
If you choose to become a member you will also be able to follow this book’s future story.