Nanotech

by Jack Dann, Gardner Dozois | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/24/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2023
I got this paperback at a local Savers thrift shop. It's a 1998 anthology themed on nanotech, with some entertaining and thought-provoking entries. Among my favorites:

"Blood Music" by Greg Bear, the inspiration for his novel Blood Music

Nancy Kress' "Margin of Error" is a dark little tale of two sisters, very different worldviews, betrayal - and a particularly nasty, if deserved, revenge.

"Any Major Dude" by Paul di Filippo sets a jealous husband in the middle of a nanotech-terraforming movement - one that might be the end of life as we know it, and/or the beginning of something better.

Oh, and the book closes with "Willy in the Nano Lab" by Geoffrey A. Landis, a spin on the "Little Willy" dark-comedy poems. This one opens: "Willy made a nano-critter, set it on his little sister. It dissolved her into goo, reassembled her as a kangaroo." Allrighty then!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 23, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/23/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the To the Stars: A Science Fiction Bookbox 3.0, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope everyone enjoys the selection!

** Released for the 2024 Science Fiction challenge. **