The Gifts of Reading

by Robert Macfarlane | Nonfiction |
Registered by Beryl_Be on 10/15/2023
Journal Entry 1 by Beryl_Be on Sunday, October 15, 2023
Every book is a kind of gift to its reader, and the act of giving books is charged with a special emotional resonance. It is a meeting of three minds (the giver, the author, the recipient), an exchange of intellectual and psychological currency, that leaves each participant enriched. Here Robert Macfarlane recounts the story of a book he was given as a young man, and how he managed eventually to return the favour, though never repay the debt.

From one of the most lyrical writers of our time comes a perfectly formed gem, a lyrical celebration of the transcendent power and humanity of the given book.

Journal Entry 2 by Beryl_Be at Riddik Cafe in Templestowe Lower, Victoria Australia on Sunday, October 15, 2023

Released 4 mos ago (10/16/2023 UTC) at Riddik Cafe in Templestowe Lower, Victoria Australia

Left at Riddik.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Thursday, November 2, 2023
The perfect book for Bookcrossers...
Caught today at Riddik Cafe.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, November 13, 2023
This book is about the joys of reading and giving and receiving books, it is speaking my language.
I particularly enjoyed this quote '...the act of giving encourages the onwards circulation of generosity'.
I whole-heartedly agree with this concept and highly recommend it as well as this book!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmarmee463wing at Cafe 130 (formerly SI Cafe) in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 1, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/7/2023 UTC) at Cafe 130 (formerly SI Cafe) in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book -
Bookcrossers are generous folk who send books in to the world for strangers to find and enjoy. Sadly we rarely hear any more of their whereabouts. Please let us know you have found this book, you are under no obligation to read it and Bookcrossing is completely anonymous. By doing this you will be encouraging Bookcrossers to continue to spread the joy of coming across a free book.

Journal Entry 6 by AnonymousFriend at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 8, 2023
A short endearing account of a friendship between academics in which several texts on naturalism, travel and observation of the wild are mentioned. There are also some brief reflections on the meaning of the gifts, which are more or less interesting.