Politics On the Edge

by Rory Stewart | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/1/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 1, 2023
Signed copy. Purchased at Topping's Edinburgh. I was supposed to hear Stewart speak at one of their author events, but I had to miss it. Still got the book at least.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 1, 2023
I don't read many political memoirs, but this struck me as an excellent one. It's engrossing and very well written. I remember many of the events Stewart describes as they happened, and it's fascinating to read his take 'from the inside' of that Government machine.

Overall of course, the message of this book is profoundly frustrating and depressing. Whilst acknowledging his part within it, Stewart does a good job of explaining again and again just how awful our political system has been over recent years.

Stewart is a persuasive writer and I had to consciously remind myself not to lose my critical facilities about his own career and conduct. There are times when his overwhelming sense of privilege comes to the fore, and I'm not fully sure he's aware of it. The description of Stewart using contacts to bagsy a meeting with fellow ex-Etonian and then Prime Minister David Cameron where he asked the latter to support him in becoming an MP - and Minister - when he's only just got around to joining the Conservative party to start with is somewhat breathtaking (even if that meeting didn't go as Stewart planned)!

Despite this, I couldn't help but like Stewart throughout the book. He comes across as deeply curious and compassionate. I've no doubt he would have made a better Prime Minister than Boris Johnston did.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (11/26/2023 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at the Christmas meetup.

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Spooky coincidences! It was only last month, when we had our mini meetup in Durham, that I was looking at this book in Waterstones and discussing with Bookfrogster that I wanted to read it.

Rory Stewart has always struck me as a rare politician in that he seems 'honest'. Looking forward to seeing if he really is a 'good guy' and why he's a Tory! ;-)

Thank you.