The Art Thief

by Noah Charney | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingcestmoiwing of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 9/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingcestmoiwing from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 17, 2023
From amazon.com:

Rome: In the small Baroque church of Santa Giuliana, a magnificent Caravaggio altarpiece disappears without a trace in the middle of the night.

Paris: In the basement vault of the Malevich Society, curator Geneviéve Delacloche is shocked to discover the disappearance of the Society's greatest treasure, White-on-White by Suprematist painter Kasimir Malevich.

London: At the National Gallery of Modern Art, the museum's latest acquisition is stolen just hours after it was purchased for more than six million pounds.

In The Art Thief, three thefts are simultaneously investigated in three cities, but these apparently isolated crimes have much more in common than anyone imagines. In Rome, the police enlist the help of renowned art investigator Gabriel Coffin when tracking down the stolen masterpiece. In Paris, Geneviéve Delacloche is aided by Police Inspector Jean-Jacques Bizot, who finds a trail of bizarre clues and puzzles that leads him ever deeper into a baffling conspiracy. In London, Inspector Harry Wickenden of Scotland Yard oversees the museum's attempts to ransom back its stolen painting, only to have the masterpiece's recovery deepen the mystery even further.

A dizzying array of forgeries, overpaintings, and double-crosses unfolds as the story races through auction houses, museums, and private galleries -- and the secret places where priceless works of art are made available to collectors who will stop at nothing to satisfy their hearts' desires.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
This novel is told in three story lines that are all related, although we don't find out until the very end.

At first it was a bit confusing to keep all the players straight and it was impossible to guess what was going to happen next or how or why some of the action happened.

It's a convoluted plot - sometimes overly so - but it was interesting to learn more about the world of art thieves!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at Humble Bean Coffee in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 23, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (9/23/2023 UTC) at Humble Bean Coffee in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 4 by 2peasandadog at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 21, 2024
I picked this up at a Bookcrossing Meet Up. I released it into a Little Free Library.