Mr. Sampath. The Printer of Malgudi

by R. K. Narayan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 9/11/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, September 11, 2023
Rasipuram Krishnaswami Iyer Narayanaswami (better known as R.K. Narayan; 10 October 1906 – 13 May 2001) was an Indian writer and novelist known for his work set in the fictional South Indian town of Malgudi. He was a leading author of early Indian literature in English along with Mulk Raj Anand and Raja Rao.

Mr. Sampath – The Printer of Malgudi is a 1949 novel by R. K. Narayan. It was adapted into the films Mr. Sampat (Hindi, 1952) and a Tamil film sharing the same title (1972).
A comic realist novel of manners, Mr. Sampath marks the first of three Narayan novels that take an external approach, focusing on events outside the protagonist, in contrast to Narayan's more internally-focused earlier novels. The novel is set in 1938 under the British Raj, in the fictional town of Malgudi.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (10/25/2023 UTC) at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany

Malgudi for you! Passed on during one of our lovely mini meet-ups, this time at a Sri Lankan restaurant. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Super, thanks so much! Looking forward to reading this. And I love the home-made book cover!

Journal Entry 4 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
This was certainly an interesting read. Lots of cultural input. At the same time, it was a rather slow read. I think it's the language of a book that was published in 1949. I did not find the book comical. Rather, I thought it was a pretty sad story of high expectations that can ruin lives. I'll try to see if I can find the movie somewhere. It would be interesting to have pictures put to the story.

Journal Entry 5 by grovalskii at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany

The book went with me to the mini meetup with Sakirmo and others today, to be taken to the meetup in the NL in July. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2024
It's waiting patiently at my place now, on a pile of other books.

Journal Entry 7 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, June 16, 2024

Planned Release in 1 wk (7/7/2024 UTC) at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Zomermeeting release!