My Friend Dahmer

by Derf Backderf | Graphic Novels |
Registered by Semioticghost of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 9/9/2023
Journal Entry 1 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2023
A book for you to enjoy and pass on!

Journal Entry 2 by Semioticghost at -- Somewhere in Ipswich -- in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2023

Released 9 mos ago (9/9/2023 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Ipswich -- in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Hello! Well done for finding a free, travelling book!

You can make a journal entry here, anonymously if you want. I hope you enjoy (or have enjoyed) the book and that you'll get a chance to leave it somewhere else for someone else to find in due course.
There is an old (but still very informative) article on bookcrossing to be found here:

Journal Entry 3 by IpswichIzzy at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2023
Somehow I let Semioticghost book-push a graphic novel, despite me never having heard of Jeff Dahmer before!

Journal Entry 4 by IpswichIzzy at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, September 10, 2023
As a graphic novel, this is fine - the artwork is good and the story is OK. But as a memoir about 'My Friend Dahmer' it is a vanity project.
Quite simply, Dahmer and Backderf were not friends. They occasionally hung out together, but that was only so Backderf and his gang of friends could make fun of Dahmer. Also Backderf is desperate to blame the adults around Dahmer for not noticing what was happening. He asks, "How did he get away with being stinking drunk during school hours?" just three frames after saying, "I don't drink or get high. But even in my naivete I recognized this wasn't fun-loving partying..." But it appears it never occurred to Backderf to speak to any adults - parents, teachers, school counsellor - or even his own friends about Dahmer's heavy drinking. Similar, in the notes, he complains that the police who stopped Dahmer with garbage bags in his car, "didn't recognize the distinctive stench of a dead body coming from the car." but then states, "I myself became a local garbage-man. The stench those bags omitted would not have been all that unusual, especially in the middle of summer".
Finally, nothing in this book really offers any insight into why Dahmer became a serial killing. Plenty of people have deeply troubled childhood homes, with divorce being common, and they don't all become killers.

Journal Entry 5 by IpswichIzzy at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 11, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (11/12/2023 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Local BookCrossers meet, from noon on the second Saturday of every month, at Coffee Link, on Neptune Quay. Why not come along and join us? We're easy to spot - we're the people sitting round a table covered in books!