Bloom

Where's this book been?
by Delilah S. Dawson | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/6/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 6, 2023
I got this hardcover at local independent bookstore Balin Books, after reading the author's comments about it in their "Big Idea" post on John Scalzi's blog (see it here, though as it contains spoilers, maybe save it until you've read the book). Sounded too good to resist!

Later: I enjoyed this one, from its delectable beginnings through to its increasingly dark core. As the book opens, we meet Ro (short for Rosemary), a woman who's just got her PhD and has begun an assistant professorship at a Georgia university. She's also just had a nasty breakup with her boyfriend, and now is trying to move forward - but is astonished when she finds herself attracted to Ash, a lovely woman who runs a specialty-goods stall at the local farmer's market on weekends, featuring a range of mouth-watering cupcakes, unusual plants, and delightful soaps. (Yes, the descriptions of all those things really made me want to be able to drop by and buy some, and I'm not even in the story!)

Ro begins a tentative relationship with Ash, despite the latter's rigid boundaries as to such things as not dropping by uninvited. There are some rough spots, but eventually the two women fall into what appears to be a lovely romance. Until the night that Ro crosses one of those boundaries and ventures into the basement...

The cover-art alone suggests dark elements in the story, and there are little hints along the way that something's Just Not Right, such as the missing-persons flyers at the farmers market. But I hadn't expected the depth of - well, I won't spoil it, but it's both heart-wrenching and horrifying, and I was deliciously appalled {wry grin}.

Released 1 mo ago (4/22/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Benson Park - 19 Kimball Hill Rd in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: