Monster, She Wrote: The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction

Where's this book been?
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/20/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 20, 2023
I got this hardcover from an online seller. (I enjoyed the audiobook version a while back, choosing it after seeing FeistyPom2Love's rave review, and was pleased to find a print copy.) It's a look at women who wrote speculative fiction.

It's grouped by era, and I'd read at least some of the works of most of the people mentioned early on (especially as the book reached the Victorian era), but some were still new to me, and the additional-recommendations parts of each chapter often present some "must add to my list" titles.

As it reached more modern writers with whose work I'm more familiar, I discovered that I had some quibbles with what was included and what was not. Most notably - in the chapter on Daphne du Maurier, there are notes about many of her works, from (of course) Rebecca to assorted short stories. But there's no mention at all of House on the Strand, a weird-fiction time-travel novel that seems to me to be just the sort of under-appreciated work that "Monster, She Wrote" is all about. Ah, well! (I was also a teeny bit miffed that Patricia Highsmith did not get her own chapter but was lumped in with du Maurier as "you might also like" - which is, I suppose, fair, as Highsmith's horror tales are a small percentage of her total output, but still...)

There are some fun sidebars as well as the author write-ups, such as "how to tell you're reading a Gothic novel."

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at LFL [OBCZ] - New Searles Rd, #46 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (10/31/2023 UTC) at LFL [OBCZ] - New Searles Rd, #46 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 Spook-Tacular challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 3, 2023
I'm reclaiming this from my LFL.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 3, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/4/2023 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer emmejo to fill a wish from 2019, for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Cincinnatus, New York USA on Friday, December 8, 2023
Thanks for the wishlist book! (And the bonus one that travelled with it!)

Journal Entry 6 by emmejo at Cincinnatus, New York USA on Thursday, January 4, 2024
This book was fine for a casual read, but I found myself wishing for some more depth and analysis. Each entry is a brief summary of some facts about the author’s life and their best-known works. It’s interesting, but hard to read in long stretches without everything kind of blending together. (To be honest, it doesn’t feel all that different than reading a list of articles in Wikipedia!) If you are interested in learning details, you’ll need to look elsewhere, but this can be a good jumping off point. The development of genre fiction as a whole isn’t really the focus, and I would have liked more info tying different bodies of work together.

I think it would work better for reading in short bursts or as a reference book, which was not how I had approached it.

Journal Entry 7 by emmejo at Cincinnatus, New York USA on Friday, January 5, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (1/5/2024 UTC) at Cincinnatus, New York USA

Sent out in the Wishlist Tag Game

Journal Entry 8 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Aaaand my January streak of inadvertent green book-covers continues!
Thank you, emmejo, for the tag, and thank you both for your reviews; I wager I'll probably get more out of this as I know very little about the genre of speculative fiction.