The Kingfisher Treasury of Dragon Stories

by Margaret Clark | Children's Books |
Registered by PDB11 of Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on 8/26/2023
Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, August 26, 2023
Bought this in a charity shop, being sure I'd never read it. EAB was sure she had, and she discovered a copy on our shelves! Nonetheless, I hadn't read it; this copy is for release, anyway.

Everyone knows what a dragon looks like

by Jay Williams
I used to devour the "Danny Dunn" books when I was a kid. I've not read much of Williams's other work, though. This is a clever story, showing Williams's mastery of his setting - in this case, ancient China,

Tom's Dragon

An extract from Dragonrise by Kathryn Cave. Clark seems to have done quite well at presenting extracts as short stories.

The Laidly Worm of Spindleston Heugh

retold by Joseph Jacobs.
Traditional tale I've met before. Nicely done.

The Home-Made Dragon

by Norman Hunter
An Incrediblania story I'd not met before. Hunter took a break of several decades in his writing career, and ended up writing 1930s children's fiction in the 1960s and 1970s, and doing so very well. This is no exception.

A Race with a Dragon

by John Cunliffe
This is a short story from the collection The Great Dragon Competition, with which I grew up. This reminds me to seek out a copy. I think WDB has the old family copy, and I didn't even manage to ask him about it when he visited yesterday.

Scales Takes Over

An extract from A Dragon in Class Four by June Counsel. I don't have a BookCrossing journal to link to, since the only time I read it, some years ago now, I had borrowed it from my then girlfriend. I was able to give her a sequel

Constantes and the Dragon

retold by Virginia Haviland
Fairytail retelling. The plot is a fairly standard fairy tale plot (although with more than usual enmity between the brothers!).

The Secret in the Matchbox

by Val Willis
I loved this short story! This is one that I wish were an extract from a novel, but it doesn't seem to be. Bobby bell is an interesting character - he has a lot of poise for one so young, and an uncanny ability to control the dragon.

Saint Simeon and the Dragon

retold by Margaret Clark
St Simon the Stylite is not someone I generally associate with dragon legends! This legend is too short to be a good story, but it is a better example than most of the saint-subdues-dragon legend.

John and the Green Dragon

by Jamila Gavin
This is a story about a boy finding his cultural identity when he is part of two worlds - Chinese and British - but not fully at home in either.

Georgie-Anna and the Dragon

by Judy Corbalis
The longest story in the book, this is a feminist inversion of the typical story in which a knight rescues a princess from a dragon. A bit like The Paper Bag Princess but with older characters (and a more sympathetic knight).

Ragnar Shaggy-Legs and the Dragons

retold by Roger Lancelyn Green
Another legend I've met elsewhere. Again, RLG does a splendid job with it.

Irritating Irma

by Robin Klein
Boy, is she irritating! What a long-suffering dragon! And yet, the story reads like a romance...

The Dragon on the Roof

by Terry Jones
Another story set in ancient China. Jones uses this as a vehicle for some quite biting (and blatant) political commentary.

Saint George and the Dragon

retold by Margaret Clark
In some ways this story is too well known.

Released 7 mos ago (9/6/2023 UTC) at Ashwick and Oakhill Community Café in Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom

On the shelves

Journal Entry 3 by Ashwick-VH-OBCZ at Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
I think this one has gone