Happy International BookCrossing Day!
It's a special day for BookCrossing and we hope you'll make it a good one. Ballycumber just posted a short message in the Announcements forum, you can read it here.

The Boy on the Bridge

by M. R. Carey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingrubyrebelwing of Toledo, Ohio USA on 8/23/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingrubyrebelwing from Toledo, Ohio USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2023
the boy on the bridge

Journal Entry 2 by wingrubyrebelwing at Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, September 4, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (9/5/2023 UTC) at Toledo, Ohio USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using me Rubyrebel
as your referring member. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
The wishlist-tag book arrived safely today; thanks so much! I really loved The Girl With All The Gifts, and am eager to read this prequel.

Later: This book is (mostly) set prior to the events of Gifts, and provides the back story for the zombie-apocalypse - with some tantalizing connections, including the discovery of the new generation of sentient "hungries".

In this book, there are still strongholds where humankind is holding out against the ravening, deadly "hungries," and they've sent out a heavily-armed-and-armored rover (the "Rosalind Franklin", named for the British scientist whose work was instrumental in determining the structure of DNA) with a team of military crew and scientists, with the goal of taking samples across the UK in hopes of finding something, anything that would slow, stop, or - long-shot - cure the spreading plague. We get to meet the crew, including scientist Khan (who, thanks to a fling with another member of the crew shortly after they set out, is now pregnant - not exactly the ideal situation) and her protege Stephen (a 16-year-old savant who's some kind of neurodivergent, possibly autistic; he's developed a topical ointment that can protect humans from the notice of the hungries, making it easier for them to do their work without quite as much risk).

It's Stephen whose work is at the core of this story - he goes out on solo reconnaissance missions to study the behavior of the hungries when they aren't actively attacking, and he's the first to see some of the new generation of feral children. While they are clearly infected with the same cordyceps fungus that caused the original plague, they aren't mindless, and indeed seem to have developed their own social structure and even a form of language. [This foreshadows the characters in Gifts, where groups of such children are being taught - and experimented upon...] Here, Stephen makes contact with a small girl, leader of a band of children - and while there are plenty of rough patches along the way, eventually his connection to them leads to an alliance that will play a huge factor in whether any of the team will survive or not.

The final standoff features Stephen, an infected Khan, and Khan's new baby, vs. the surviving military and the bloodthirsty "junkers" they've allied with - and a series of choices and sacrifices that touched me deeply.

While the overall vibe of the story is doom and gloom - it seems that there's no hope for traditional humanity at all - the epilogue not only suggests that things are rather different than the surviving protagonists had guessed. It also ties neatly into the aftermath of Gifts, with a couple of key characters making a welcome, final-chapter appearance.

[There's a TV Tropes page on this book, with some interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 16, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/16/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Books I've Read and Journaled Bookbox #3 (mailing order in the forum thread); bookbox journal with my selections here.

** Released for the 2024 Science Fiction challenge. **

** Released for the 2024 Keep Them Moving challenge. **

Journal Entry 5 by winghaahaahaa98wing at Books I Have Actually Read, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 22, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2024 UTC) at Books I Have Actually Read, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Received, and passing along, in the "Books I've Read" Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, March 18, 2024
Pulled from the "Books I've Read and Journalled" bookbox. Thanks!