The Woman in the Dunes

by Kobo Abe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 8/22/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
I selected this softcover (c. 1964) from the Little Free Library on Westbury Drive in Rockville, Maryland, USA, to share with others because I like this author (and this book) so much!

I read another copy of this book in 2005. This is what I wrote about it after I read it...

Niki Jumpei, an amateur entomologist, seeks a rare beetle in the desert. The day ends, and he is lost in the sand dunes. In desperation, he agrees to assistance from another man who finds the entomologist shelter for the night. He is taken to a sand cliff from which he is lowered by rope ladder to a small house, partially covered by sand and inhabited by a lone woman. In the morning, the rope is gone but the woman remains.

The story was terrifying and engrossing all at once. It had the essence of one person being alone, yet not being alone; disappearing and yet not disappearing. Thinking of a person placed in a captive situation, it made me question whether it would be better to remain aloof or to befriend a captor. Presenting just as many questions as answers, this book turned out to be an incredible mind trip. I kept on trying to figure out what it all meant, whether it was a metaphor for anything at all or just a bizarre tale meant for entertainment. It was a story, complete with perfectly situated pen-and-ink drawings, about the meaning of being held captive and containing sequences of events and scenery which made for surreal and fascinating reading.

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2023 D for December release challenge hosted by hyphen8.

--------------------------------------