The Gone-Away World

by Nick Harkaway | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 17, 2023
I got this ex-library softcover from Better World Books, after reading the book via audiobook and loving it. It's set in a world in which a devastating weapon has rendered reality itself unstable, leading to a situation where one's thoughts might cause physical transformations - of an often nightmarish and unpredictable type - and where a new technology that seems to stabilize the reality-warping might lead to normality. Or will it? A quirky protagonist whose happy marriage and companionable co-workers are put at risk, wacky battles in which mimes, ninjas, ducks, and jack-in-the-boxes make appearances (I am not making this up)... Great fun!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some interesting tidbits - but do beware of spoilers if you haven't read the book yet.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 23, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/23/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the To the Stars: A Science Fiction Bookbox 3.0, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope everyone enjoys the selection!

** Released for the 2024 Science Fiction challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2024
I picked this book out of Spatial's To the Stars bookbox. Thanks for sharing!