The Woman in the Window

by A J Finn | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/14/2023
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 14, 2023
Picked this up from the bookshelves at work. Not a fan of hardbacks but will give it a go.

Journal Entry 2 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 2, 2023
This was good, very addictive light thriller reading. Very Rear Window, in fact the main character is a vintage film buff. Even reading about her viewing lists made me want to get out my old films and start re watching them again.

Yes, some of it is predicatable. I thought it was blindingly obvious from word go that.... BIG SPOILER (or is it? Were we not meant to realise this?) her husband and daughter are already dead. It's a plot device that's been used a lot, with people emailing/texting/writing letters/chatting on the phone to characters you never actually see. Because they're dead. And because this is a common way many, many people deal with grief. Anyway, Dr Anna Fox's family died in an awful accident during which she was driving, but survived, and she has since turned into an agrophobic alcoholic, which is completely understandable, but obviously doesn't make her a reliable witness. Or narrator, as you see things through her eyes only. Lordy, trying to imagine what she went through, or rather, trying not to think about it, just made me feel ill.

She lives alone in a big old expensive NYC many-storey house, and beside chatting to other people with issues online (in this day and age how could she be so trusting of the internet????), drinking too much, she likes to do the Jimmy Stewart thing and spy on her neighbours. And she reckons she witnesses a murder. Except not only does everyone else say there never was a murder, but that the victim never even existed. So is she going nuts, or did something underhand happen? Well, not that a murder isn't anything but underhand...

It's all very gripping until the bad dude reveals themselves and then it suffers from what a lot of these books suffer from in that your expectations are never met and it suddenly all feels a bit meh. But this normal person suddenly having a finger snapping personality change into a bad mouthed pyscho... wouldn't it be great it they just continued as normal and you had that icy sinking feeling of dread - OMG they were in plain sight all the way through the book.

But you don't get that here. Having said that, for the genre, it's a good read, with short snappy chapters so it would keep you going through travel, stuffy head days etc etc...

Released 8 mos ago (10/9/2023 UTC) at Red Telephone Exchange Box in Farlington, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Just discovered this box by chance. Dropped off two books whilst on the way to go walking from Welburn

Journal Entry 4 by FreeRangeHuman at Farlington, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 22, 2024
Me and my mum came out for a trip round several phonebox libraries to release books in honour of International BookCrossing Day. I think we released 9 books and took 4 BookCrossing books between us. We also did a short walk finding geocaches, and discovered two new to us places to leave books (a phone box library and a little free library) I found this in the new to us phonebox. I don't usually pick up hardbacks but it has a BCID and that was the purpose of our trip out today. I thought I had read it before, but it seems to have similarities to The Girl on the Train (not just the title)