The Life of a Banana

by P P Wong | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781910053218 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 5/28/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 28, 2023
Amazon:
Xing Li is what some Chinese people call a banana - yellow on the outside and white on the inside. Although born and raised in London, she never feels like she fits in. When her mother dies, she moves with her older brother to live with venomous Grandma, strange Uncle Ho and Hollywood actress Auntie Mei. Her only friend is Jay - a mixed raced Jamaican boy with a passion for classical music.
Then Xing Li's life takes an even harsher turn: the school bullying escalates and her uncle requests she assist him in an unthinkable favour. Her happy childhood becomes a distant memory as her new life is infiltrated with the harsh reality of being an ethnic minority.

Consumed by secrets, violence and confusing family relations, Xing Li tries to find hope wherever she can. In order to find her own identity, she must first discover what it means to be both Chinese and British.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, June 11, 2023

Released 11 mos ago (6/16/2023 UTC) at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

Wishlist book for the Falkirk Convention :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 16, 2023
Thank you so much for this wishlist book! Great to see you again!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Excellent! Due to the writing style it's more of an easy, quick read, but it goes deep. The story revolves around identity and racism, with some terrible scenes of racist bullying. It's also about family and friendship, and about mourning, with well-drawn characters whose layers of personality are revealed slowly.
It should be read in schools.
Highly recommendable!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Released 4 wks ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Wishlist surprise for you!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
Ha did we both wish for the same book?

Thanks for saving it for me! I am glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the lovely book cover as well. I bet you made it yourself! Don't worry, even if you don't say I would have kept it, hehehe. I have been wanting to get one to keep my book covers clean and neat. Thank you so much! And the little goodies too. So grateful to have you as a friend.