The Casebook of Forensic Detection

Where's this book been?
by Colin Evans | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/25/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 25, 2023
I got this book at a local Savers thrift shop. It's a look at forensic science via the investigation of various crimes, with the material grouped by particular techniques, from ballistics to DNA to toxicology to voiceprints, with plenty of other methods in between. The example-crimes are chosen to highlight the various fields, showing how they came to be accepted as valid (not always easily) and the challenges of managing crime scenes and evidence so as to permit the maximum use of scientific analysis. Cases range from the terrorist attack that took down Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland to the chillingly cold-blooded List murders (the book Righteous Carnage deals with that). And techniques can be old-school and simple - the creation of a "murder kit" to provide police and crime-scene workers with the gloves, evidence bags, etc. - to modern scanning and DNA analysis.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 10, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (6/12/2023 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to my True Crime bookbox - forum thread with mailing order here, bookbox journal here). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Thursday, June 15, 2023
I don't need this one, as I have read it (back in June 2006!) - here are my thoughts from back then: A friend of mine worked in Oklahoma PD when the John Joubert case was being investigated (pg. 285)

Fascinating reading.

It took me longer than expected to finally finish this book. What should be noted - even when investigators (forensic and otherwise) mess up, the bad guy usually gets caught on something. The evidence doesn't lie, even if the people processing the evidence do.

A good read, and fascinating for anyone interested in the world of the REAL CSIs (you all know that the popular TV show is fake, right?)

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2023
Made a short stay at my house. It will continue its journey in the True Crime box.

Journal Entry 5 by missprisy at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
Took from GoryDetails True Crime Bookbox