Fallen Angel

by Chris Brookmyre | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/1/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 1, 2023
Blurb:
'Gloriously dark, deliciously twisty' CLARE MACKINTOSH

ONE FAMILY, TWO HOLIDAYS, ONE DEVASTATING SECRET

To new nanny Amanda, the Temple family seem to have it all: the former actress; the famous professor; their three successful grown-up children. But like any family, beneath the smiles and hugs there lurks far darker emotions.

Sixteen years earlier, little Niamh Temple died while they were on holiday in Portugal. Now, as Amanda joins the family for a reunion at their seaside villa, she begins to suspect one of them might be hiding something terrible...

And suspicion is a dangerous thing.

From Chris Brookmyre, winner of the Theakstons and McIllvanney awards for Black Widow, comes a standalone psychological thriller full of twists, lies and betrayal.

'Guaranteed to keep you guessing'
Ian Rankin
'In the pantheon of great crime writers'
Elly Griffiths
'Extremely sophisticated crime'
Sunday Times

FALLEN ANGEL by CHRIS BROOKMYRE (2019) | ISBN: 0349143226 / 9780349143224 | Publisher: ABACUS (2/20/2020) (344 pages)

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 1, 2023
...Phew, just finished and still reeling... Low key and carefully placed through the set-up, but worth travelling to and beyond the point where some suprises kick in when the whole journey can be appreciated. Plus Brookmyre's engaging humour, whats not to like?

So those quotes above, from the back cover fairly nail it! I liked these also:

'Nuanced and intelligent'
Guardian
'Shows Brookmyre' s immense skill as a writer'
Guardian
'A complicated but satisfying tale'
Literary Review
'Shows how much Brookmyre has learned about constructing a thriller'
Herald

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2023
OK meant to release this book months ago, shortly after I had read it and when the story was fresh in my mind. Instead, getting ready to release it now I realised the precise reveal details are a little vague, so I've just re-freshed my memory. I don't want to jot down a load of spoilers here, instead as a hint to myself there's a couple of comments Brookmyre makes at the books end that would make interesting follow ups for next time this book comes to mind and I do have a moment to follow up.

FURTHER READING
If you are interested to know more about the complex psychology that makes us naturally susceptible to conspiracy thinking, I can wholeheartedly recommend Suspicious Minds: Why we Believe Conspiracy Theories by Bod Brotherton.
For a historical contextualisation and biggest de-bunking of some of the biggest conspiracy theories still stalking modern culture, look no further than David Aronovitch's excellent Voodoo Histories: How Conspiracy has Shaped Modern History.
And on the tender subject of narcissistic parents and the impact they have on their children, there are many impassioned first-hand accounts out there, but for a well-researched and evidence-based look at how child abuse can take many varied forms, I would recommend Toxic Parents by Susan Forward.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrainbow3wing at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2023

Released 3 mos ago (11/26/2023 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

To be released at a BookCrossers of Edinburgh, Old Gang Meet-Up here Sun 26th November. If not picked up from the table I'll release it again elsewhere.

● RELEASE NOTES:
DEAR FINDER:
I'm a special book. I'm not forgotten, lost or discarded. I was left here on purpose and I am looking for a new reader. On: www.bookcrossing.com. you can follow my journey.

Take me travelling, read me or not, and please leave a note about my whereabouts on the website - anonymously, if you prefer.

Then, please release me again so I can travel on, greetings from BookCrosser rainbow3.

Journal Entry 5 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
I do like Chris Brookmyre so quickly snapped this up at the Edinburgh pre Xmas meet up, thank you