The Easter Parade

by Richard Yates | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingdjf1968wing of San Ramon, California USA on 3/15/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingdjf1968wing from San Ramon, California USA on Wednesday, March 15, 2023
I picked this classic up to send on in the 2023 Easter Exchange -- I think I'm going to try to read it first.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Thursday, March 30, 2023
I wanted to like this story. It was EXTREMELY well written, which kept me going despite its depressing pall. I tried, but while I could sympathize with each of the main characters, I didn’t really connect with any of them.

Emily, our narrator and the youngest of the Grimes girls, drifts from one unsatisfying relationship to another in search of something she can’t quite reach.

Sarah, the elder of the Grimes sisters and daddy’s favorite settles easily into an abusive marriage and a family, neither of which really fulfill her.

"Pookie" is Emily and Sarah’s mother – she loves her daughters the only way she knows how, but she’s a social climber and an alcoholic and doesn’t set a terribly inspiring example.

A couple of quotes that resonated:

"She’d never heard the word 'intellectual' used as a noun before she went to Barnard, and she took it to heart. It was a brave noun, a proud noun, a noun suggesting lifelong dedication to lofty things and a cool disdain for the commonplace."

"'I see,' she said. And when would she ever learn to stop saying 'I see' about things she didn’t see at all?"

Journal Entry 3 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Saturday, April 1, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (4/1/2023 UTC) at San Ramon, California USA

This is now on its way to South Carolina as part of my contribution to this year's Easter Exchange. Enjoy!

You've found the book I released!

Please take a minute to make a journal entry to let me (and all who may have read it before me) know the book is safe and has found a new reader. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. If you do decide to join, you can follow this book's future travels, as you’ll receive an email anytime someone makes a journal entry. It's fun, free, and confidential.

When you’ve finished reading the book, please make another journal entry to let us know what you thought of it. It's now yours, and you can keep it if you choose or share it for others to enjoy. If you do pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it or who you shared it with.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Thursday, April 6, 2023
This book arrived in a very nice Easter Exchange package with an Easter dishtowel, a little stuffed lamb, and lots of candy. I am adding this book to my ToBeRead pile. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Friday, March 22, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (3/22/2024 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

Big changes coming in my life in the next few months. This book arrived in last year's Easter package and is leaving in this year's. I have not had much time for reading in the last couple years but I do hope that will change in the near future. Happy Easter little book!

Journal Entry 6 by bamaforever at Clanton, Alabama USA on Friday, March 29, 2024
Thank you for this book and all of the Easter goodies Southernfryed. Happy Easter!

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at Bookmooch.com in -- BookMooch.com, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I'm a very special book. I'm traveling the world in search of new friends. I hope I have found one in you. If you are my new owner please make a brief journal entry with my BCID number. You can read and release me for a new friend to read or keep me. It's your choice!

If you are new to bookcrossing and want to join please consider listing bamaforever as your referral. Welcome to bookcrossing!

Happy reading!