A Gentleman in Moscow

So many worlds to explore
by Amor Towles | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 4/17/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 17, 2024
In 1922, Count Alexander Rostov is deemed an unrepentant aristocrat by a Bolshevik tribunal, and is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin. Rostov, an indomitable man of erudition and wit, has never worked a day in his life, and must now live in an attic room while some of the most tumultuous decades in Russian history are unfolding outside the hotel’s doors. Unexpectedly, his reduced circumstances provide him entry into a much larger world of emotional discovery.

I picked this book up from the swap bookshelf aboard Fridtjof Nansen expedition ship travelling in Antarctic waters. I left a replacement book.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, May 9, 2024
I finished reading this while on holidays and it made it back to Australia where I registered it for Bookcrossing.

A well written story which set the scene well. I did find some sections of memories, etc too much though. For instance, the Count sets off in a hurry to quickly do something, but it takes three pages of memories, thoughts etc before he does this. Towards the end of the book, I began to skim some of this.
Minor points, but they niggled. Most of the world uses Celsius; Russia from 1925 (before that – a quick Google – perhaps, the Réaumur scale which has freezing at 0), but the author insists on using Fahrenheit. Similarly, outside of the USA, entrée means the starting course; ie 'starter'. The Count uses it to show his sophistication and worldly knowledge. He had spent time in France. He would have used it as the French (and the world outside of the USA) uses it; for the 'starter' course, not for the main course.

Journal Entry 3 by winggoldenwattlewing at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, May 24, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/25/2024 UTC) at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at the Bookcrossing get together at the Central Social Club, Civic, ACT. Enjoy.