The Sense of an Ending

by Julian Barnes | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingLaveggioCoffeewing of Binghamton, New York USA on 2/22/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing from Binghamton, New York USA on Wednesday, February 22, 2023
From GoodReads...
By an acclaimed writer at the height of his powers, The Sense of an Ending extends a streak of extraordinary books that began with the best-selling Arthur & George and continued with Nothing to Be Frightened Of and, most recently, Pulse.

This intense novel follows a middle-aged man as he contends with a past he has never much thought about - until his closest childhood friends return with a vengeance, one of them from the grave, another maddeningly present. Tony Webster thought he'd left all this behind as he built a life for himself, and by now his marriage and family and career have fallen into an amicable divorce and retirement. But he is then presented with a mysterious legacy that obliges him to reconsider a variety of things he thought he'd understood all along, and to revise his estimation of his own nature and place in the world.

A novel so compelling that it begs to be read in a single sitting, with stunning psychological and emotional depth and sophistication, The Sense of an Ending is a brilliant new chapter in Julian Barnes's oeuvre.

Had a hard time getting into this one, wanted to enjoy it based on the reviews on back cover, just wasn't for me.
Time for a new home

Journal Entry 2 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, January 12, 2024

Released 6 mos ago (1/11/2024 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sent off in Ollie1976 Almost Anything Goes Bookbox

Happy Travels

Journal Entry 3 by ILuvToRead2 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings --, Illinois USA on Saturday, January 27, 2024
Took out of the Almost Anything Goes Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by ILuvToRead2 at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/10/2024 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I enjoyed reading this. I knew it had a surprising ending, but I had never read this author before, so I imagined all different sorts of things. But the ending still took me by surprise. In hindsight, there were many clues, but I didn't catch them. I would read more of this author. Arthur and George sounds interesting.

This book is in the mail on its way to a fellow bookcrosser as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 13, 2024
The book arrived safely today; thanks for the wishlist tag!