Shadows of the Workhouse

by Jennifer Worth | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 2/11/2023
Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, February 11, 2023
following on from Call the Midwife. Found in Valentin book box.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, May 21, 2024
The first half is about life in the workhouse, and the stories of brother and sister Frank and Peg, and Jane. I'm not sure that Frank and Peg featured in the TV series but Jane definitely did, at least the time she was at Nonnatus House.
The description of the prefab Frank and Peg lived in triggered memories, and I was surprised by the costers' language that is like the French verlan - reeb for beer, for instance.
- Edit: I was wrong, Frank and Peg did feature in series 1. Maybe I missed that episode.

The second part is The Trial of Sister Monica Joan, and then that of the old soldier Joe Collett, played in the TV series by Roy Hudd.

Nurse Jenny Lee is sometimes horrified by what she sees, the dreadful conditions in which people lived, but is never judgmental. All the stories are told with great empathy.

Released 2 wks ago (6/4/2024 UTC) at Restaurant pizzeria Bella Vita in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

follow-up to Call the Midwife

Journal Entry 4 by wingYdam21wing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, June 5, 2024
Attrapé !