Spinning Silver

by Naomi Novik | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 12/7/2022
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 7, 2022
A beautiful Russian fairytale. Miryem is the daughter of an impoverished money-lender who takes over his work when he is too soft-hearted. The King of the Staryk hears that she can turn silver into gold, and threatens her with death if she can't... But the reward if she succeeds might be nearly as bad. Meanwhile Irena is a Duke's daughter, whose father thinks that with magical jewellery he can make her beautiful enough for the Tsar to marry, not knowing that the Tsar has a terrible secret. Together Miryem and Irena must pit ice against fire. Absolutely magical.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 7, 2022
This book travels as my favourite book of 2022.

The list of participants:

mcsar (Canada) (skip)
valpete (USA)
Echode (USA)
Cross-patch (UK)

No need to return it to me at the end.

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (12/7/2022 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sending to Poodlesister, first in the ray.

Journal Entry 4 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 10, 2022
How great to get a Roundabout book which is on my wishlist.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 10, 2023
I really loved this book. As I did Uprooted.

Released 1 yr ago (1/13/2023 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This will travel to estelle1806 with the next book as I have another copy of that one.

Journal Entry 7 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, February 16, 2023
Received with the following book on the roundabout, better get cracking!

Journal Entry 8 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, March 9, 2023
A really good book, with 3 great heroines and a snowy fairytale story. I did not give it 10* as I found some chapters dragging a bit but all in all a very pleasant read. Thanks for sharing, greenbadger!

Journal Entry 9 by wingestelle1806wing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, March 9, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (3/10/2023 UTC) at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Travelling to Fifna.

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 6, 2023
It has arrived safely, thanks estelle1806!

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
I loved the story, even though I felt it got a bit muddled and drawn out now and then. The imagery is beautiful and this could be made into a great film! I did have some issues with style and grammar: I think the use of commas and dashes needed a bit of work. But overall a great story - thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Thursday, April 20, 2023

Released 12 mos ago (4/20/2023 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

On its way to Andrasthe.

Journal Entry 13 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Friday, April 28, 2023
received today. thx

Journal Entry 14 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Sunday, May 7, 2023
“So the fairy silver brought you a monster of fire for a husband, and me a monster of ice. We should put them in a room together and let them make us both widows.”

In general I am sceptical of all these reworked fairy tale novels that seem to pop out everywhere in the last few years. Spinning Silver, however, tries to be a story in and of itself and borrows Russian fairy tale tropes in a way that works. I enjoyed the book because of its heroines and some of the ideas even if I could have done without another and yet another new POV character. This was a bit much and meant that the story slowed down unnecessarily and was dragged out where it didn't need to be.

I would have liked to get more insight into the Staryk world and culture. The descriptions and explanations were lacking detail and did not offer means to fully understand the significance of some events (for instance the giving of names, the Staryk's change of heart,...). That might have been done less superficially. The action sequences by contrast were written very well in my opinion.

Thank you for suggesting this novel, for I would not have picked it up otherwise.

Journal Entry 15 by wingSonkkuwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
I received book today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 16 by wingSonkkuwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, June 11, 2023
At first it was slow start for me to read this but when I just keep reading I likedthis a lot. Very good book.

Journal Entry 17 by wingSonkkuwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, June 11, 2023

Released 10 mos ago (6/11/2023 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

I will send book to next reader.

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, June 19, 2023
Arrived in my home. Fairytale ? Let's see if this one works for me.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, June 28, 2023
Beautifully written. But I as I have said fairytales are really not my thing, even as a little girl they were spooky to me. I read almost half the book but things began to be too fantasy (I wasn't in the mood either) and I gave up. Sorry.

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Released 9 mos ago (7/4/2023 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On it's way to Ontario.

Journal Entry 21 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 18, 2023
This has arrived in Canada. I'd already read this book a few years ago and loved it. I will reread some passages before I send it to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 20, 2023
I'd hoped to do a reread of this book, which I liked very much when I'd first read it a few years ago, but work and family commitments made the past few weeks very busy, so I'll just pass the book along to the next reader.

I had found this book to be beautifully written, and I really liked how Naomi Novik used elements of Russian folklore to create a really compelling story with great characters.

Journal Entry 23 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 20, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (8/20/2023 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to valpete!

Journal Entry 24 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
Arrived safely!

Journal Entry 25 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, September 25, 2023
I think this was the first fantasy book I've read. Once I caught on to the magic, I did enjoy it, although it did drag on in places.

Journal Entry 26 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, September 25, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (9/25/2023 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 27 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, October 6, 2023
Just got back into town last night, so slight delay in confirming that book arrived safely. I will hop-to asap!

Journal Entry 28 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 16, 2023
I never thought I'd be so riddled with anxiety from...ice melting?!
But that is the hold this story, a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin with strong women leading the charge, had over me. The seasons, particularly winter and summer, were characters in and of themselves. (I can personally attest to the wickedness of Chernobog as I sit here in October, still unnaturally tanned from Scotland in June 😆)
My only complaint is even though it got too explanatory at times, I'm still left with gaping questions on a few plot points...

*****
Will mail out to the next reader within 2 days!

Journal Entry 29 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Arrived. Next on my tbr.

Journal Entry 30 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Apologies. I thought I’d made this entry days ago, but I have been suffering severe problems with BookCrossing website, so it must have been lost in the troubles.
Unexpectedly I loved this reusing of old Eastern European fairy tales. It may have been my favourite of favourite reads of 2022. I can honestly say that I would never have picked it off a shelf without the impetus of this thread. I am so grateful.
Greenbadger does not need this copy back so I am looking for a new reader. Dark-Draco, this book has reached the end of its journey as a ‘favourite’.

Journal Entry 31 by wingCross-patchwing at Northern Cobbler in Billesdon, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/16/2024 UTC) at Northern Cobbler in Billesdon, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Releasing over coffee with Sparkish. We’ll see what happens!

Journal Entry 32 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2024
Looks very interesting. Thanks for the book temptation Cross-patch - I couldn’t resist!