A Walk in the Woods

by Bill Bryson | Travel |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/11/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 11, 2022
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Bedford NH while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy. [There's a 2015 film based on the book.]

This account of the author's attempt at the Appalachian Trail opens with his perusal of some very grisly bear-attack stories - definitely the way to get my attention! The book's an interesting blend of humor, useful facts, and social commentary, and while some of it got a bit tedious I found most of it fascinating. I've since gone on to read most of Bryson's other books, and while I find some more entertaining than others [In a Sunburned Country and A Short History of Nearly Everything are, I think, my favorites] they're all worth checking out!

[Side note: I was pleased to see this book featured in this Unshelved Book Club comic strip. Oh, and Bryson has his own TV Tropes page, too.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Franklin St in Salem, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 11, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (6/11/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Franklin St in Salem, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library after having dinner at nearby Tuscan Kitchen with a friend. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2022 Allergic to A challenge. **