The Whispers of War

by Julia Kelly | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1982107804 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMaranlinwing of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 4/2/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingMaranlinwing from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 2, 2022
From the back cover:
In August of 1939, as Britain watches the headlines in fear of another devastating war with Germany, three childhood companions must choose between friendship and country. Erstwhile socialite Nora is determined to find her place in the Home Office’s Air Raid Precautions Department, matchmaker Hazel tries to mask two closely guarded secrets with irrepressible optimism, and German expat Marie worries that she and her family might face imprisonment in an internment camp if war is declared. When Germany invades Poland and tensions on the home front rise, Marie is labeled an enemy alien, and the three friends find themselves fighting together to keep her free at any cost.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 14, 2022
The story begins with Samantha, Marie's granddaughter, who is struggling to write her grandmother's eulogy. She visits Nora in London, and learns the story of her grandmother's life during the early years of WWII.

I found this book fascinating. The threat of internment of German nationals living in England during WWII is not something I have read about before. It reminds me of the internment of Japanese Canadians and Americans during this war and I have previously read a book about that issue. The Whispers of War deals with the subject of the internment of Germans but also is a testament to the power of female friendships.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMaranlinwing at Little Free Library - 2302 Bridge Street in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 22, 2023

Released 11 mos ago (4/22/2023 UTC) at Little Free Library - 2302 Bridge Street in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Released for the 2023 NJABBIC Challenge (week 16: rain gear).

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use me, Maranlin, as a referring member.

Journal Entry 4 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 23, 2023
Found in the library outside the community centre.

Journal Entry 5 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 22, 2023
I also have never heard of the English internment camps. I would like to know more about them, I had hoped the book would have been more about the Camps. The book deals with issues of friendship, and romantic relationships.

I enjoyed this book, it is the second book by Julia Kelly I have read. The first book by this author being The Last Garden in England. I enjoyed this one more.

Journal Entry 6 by LFLHunter at Williams Coffee Pub by the Bay in Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 11, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (8/12/2023 UTC) at Williams Coffee Pub by the Bay in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Leaving this book in a coffee shop. Please consider making a journal entry, tell us where you found the book, or what you thought of the book after reading it. You can remain anonymous or join Bookcrossing. Help make the world a place of traveling books.

Journal Entry 7 by 2peasandadog at Oakville, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 17, 2023
I picked up this book at the Hamilton Bookcrossing Meet Up.

Journal Entry 8 by 2peasandadog at LFL - Wiltshire Ave #82759 in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 28, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (8/28/2023 UTC) at LFL - Wiltshire Ave #82759 in Burlington, Ontario Canada

This book will be released into the Wiltshire Ave Little Free Library. Once you have read this book please pass it along to someone who would enjoy it or leave it in a dedicated book-sharing space.