The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

Curl up with a good book!
by Kim Michele Richardson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingQueen72wing of Hobbs, New Mexico USA on 10/11/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingQueen72wing from Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
This was the first time I read about the Blue People of Kentucky and how they had to with discrimination due to a medical condition. It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so cruel. I enjoyed reading more about the Pack Library and felt the author described how hard life was for people of color and the mountain folk too.
Reserved for an upcoming bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Thursday, April 25, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (4/26/2024 UTC) at Hobbs, New Mexico USA

This book has been put into the Bookish BookBox (in memory of MaryZee) .

Journal Entry 3 by winggorydetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 1, 2024
I'm claiming this from the latest round of the Bookish Bookbox in memory of MaryZee.

Later: It's a novel based on some real-world events, including the Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project that helped get books to people in the remote Kentucky mountains during the Great Depression. It also features the "blue people" of Kentucky, whose congenital blood-enzyme syndrome caused their skin to be a dusky blue. This story combines those things in heroine Cussy, whose attempts to take books where they're needed causes her to encounter a variety of hazards, including superstitious fear of her appearance.

Released 1 mo ago (6/13/2024 UTC) at LFL -, Buckmeadow Conservation Area in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2024 Keep Them Moving challenge. **