The Whisper Man

by Alex North | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/17/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 17, 2022
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble. (The author has also published books under the name Steve Mosby.) It's an involving thriller with hints of a possible supernatural element - and a strong set of different father/son relationships.

It opens with a letter from a father to his son, hinting at many dark things to come; the actual context of the letter isn't apparent until the end of the book. From there the book switches into several different viewpoints, including an omniscient third-person one that shows us a child-abduction in progress - one that corresponds with the setting of a series of heinous crimes from twenty years in the past. That criminal was caught and remains in prison, but the new crime - and the reports of someone whispering outside the window of the victim - suggest a copycat.

Meanwhile, bereaved father Tom has moved into town with his young son Jake, who actually chose the house himself from the online listings they viewed together; why did that rather ramshackle, unsettling old house appeal to a young child? And then Jake hears whispering at his window, and Tom gets caught up in a horrifying situation.

Other characters include the detective who caught the serial killer from decades ago, and who is now settling in to a fairly quiet life - until the case raises ghosts from his past. And his colleague Amanda Beck, an up-and-coming detective who's eager to solve this case before any more children go missing.

The story weaves a lot of things together, with what seem to be coincidences but may have explanations; unexpected relationships, plenty of red herrings - including a group of crime-memorabilia fans, whose interests range from a fascination with crime-scene accounts to truly disturbing "want to communicate with actual murderers" levels, a criminal with what started out as a rather sympathetic urge to help children who were abused or neglected by their parents but which warped into something horrible...

Involving and, in the end, satisfying, though there were times when I really fretted about some of the coincidences!

[There's a follow-on book featuring one of the same detectives, The Shadow Friend, aka The Shadows in the US.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 28, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (2/28/2022 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer spoiledrotten, to fill a wish from 2019 for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, March 5, 2022
Arrived safely in NJ and my husband has already started reading it. Thanks so much for the tag.

Journal Entry 4 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 23, 2023
Will be my next read. On reserve for booklady331

Journal Entry 5 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 10, 2023
Overall a pretty good thriller, but at times a bit confusing. GoryDetails has described it very nicely.

Journal Entry 6 by spoiledrotten at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, April 10, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (4/11/2023 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Sending to booklady331 for the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, April 14, 2023
The book arrived today. Thank you so much for sending me this wish list book. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, May 4, 2023
This book explores the themes of father-son relationships, grief, and loss. Tom and his young son Jake, move to a village in search of a new start after the death of Tom's wife. Jake was set on the new house that they finally chose. Featherbank, the town they moved to, has a dark past. Fifteen years ago, a serial killer abducted and murdered five young boys. The killer, know as The Whisper Man, was finally caught and put behind bars. Soon after Tom and Jake move into Featherbank, another boy goes missing and the whispers start again.
This story had me hooked soon after it began with the tension and twists. It is written mostly in the third person point of view, except for Tom who tells the story from first person. DI Pete Willis, who caught the original killer at a huge emotional cost to himself, becomes involved. I found this story scary, because it involves children.

Released 11 mos ago (5/10/2023 UTC) at Bookring in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Florida USA

Enjoy! For ABC 3 bookring.

Journal Entry 10 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Saturday, May 27, 2023
Selected from the ABC bookring

Journal Entry 11 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Thursday, February 29, 2024
The Whisper Man is an edge-of-your seat thriller which made me want to keep reading and not put the book down. Tom and his young son, Jake, are looking for a new start and move to the town of Featherbank to a house that Jake picked out online. Little did they know, the house they moved into has a sordid past and its history is resurfacing. Across town, detectives are looking to find a young boy that recently went missing and this current case has a lot of similarities to cases from 20 years ago. But the serial killer from those cases is locked up. Is there a copycat on the loose?

Told from multiple points of view, plus an omniscient narrator, it took a few chapters for me to get into the flow of the story. Once there, I had a hard time putting the book down.

Journal Entry 12 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Friday, April 12, 2024

Released 2 days ago (4/12/2024 11:00 PM UTC) at Renton, Washington USA