The Way Things Were

by Aatish Taseer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by grovalskii of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 2/4/2022
Journal Entry 1 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Friday, February 4, 2022
from amazon.de: When Skanda's father Toby dies, estranged from Skanda's mother and from the India he once loved, it falls to Skanda to return his body to his birthplace. This is a journey that takes him halfway around the world and deep within three generations of his family, whose fractures, frailties and toxic legacies he has always sought to elude.

Both an intimate portrait of a marriage and its aftershocks, and a panoramic vision of India's half-century - in which a rapacious new energy supplants an ineffectual elite - The Way Things Were is an epic novel about the pressures of history upon the present moment. It is also a meditation on the stories we tell and the stories we forget; their tenderness and violence in forging bonds and in breaking them apart.

Set in modern Delhi and at flashpoints from the past four decades, fusing private and political, classical and contemporary to thrilling effect, this book confirms Aatish Taseer as one of the most arresting voices of his generation.

Journal Entry 2 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2022 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Looking forward to visiting with ApoloniaX and giving her this wishlist book. Enjoy reading it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Schöneberg, Berlin Germany on Thursday, April 28, 2022
Received over a cup of tea - thank you so much! For the wishlist book and the lovely time in the café!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Brilliant! From the time of Indira Gandhi's Emergency in the 70s to Ayodhya 1992, this novel is filled with a lot of background information about politics and religion in India. And Sanskrit - and how its status in society can change - and lead to desillusion of one of the main characters. There are three of them, Toby the Sanskritist, Uma, his wife, and Skanda, their son, and all of them are equally filled with life. I didn't really find Uma very convincing after her divorce - Maniraja, seriously? But he seemed to be necessary as an antipole.
Recommendable! (If you're interested in India's recent history and quite a bit of Sanskrit.)

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Wilmersdorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, September 12, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (9/12/2022 UTC) at Wilmersdorf, Berlin Germany

Back to you so you can read it too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, September 14, 2022
I started reading it on the train home - but forgot to journal. Oops! Taking it on vacation with me.

Journal Entry 7 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, October 16, 2022
This took longer to read than expected. One reason probably is that it is not the thinnest book. Another reason is that I had a hard time getting into the book. The book seems to be written for an audience that knows India well. Many things were assumed. This made it harder for me (as an outsider) to read it. There also was a lot of jumping between the stories of the various people which confused me at times. Not my absolute favorite book, but still very interesting to read about events that I knew little about.

Journal Entry 8 by grovalskii at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany

The book went with me to the mini meetup with Sakirmo and others today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kreuzberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 29, 2024
... and it came back to me again - to travel with me to the Dutch summer meet-up in July.

Journal Entry 10 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, June 16, 2024

Planned Release in 1 wk (7/7/2024 UTC) at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Zomermeeting release!