Death of a Neighborhood Scrooge

by Laura Levine | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/29/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 29, 2021
Book burble: Freelance writer Jaine Austen is feeling festive about spending Christmas house-sitting at a posh Bel Air mansion, accompanied by her friend Lance and her cat, Prozac. But when a grumpy neighbor gets himself iced, she’ll have to find the culprit or she may spend the New Year in jail . . .

Scotty Parker is a former child star who once played Tiny Tim, but now he’s grown up into the role of neighborhood Scrooge. He cuts the wires on his neighbors’ Christmas lights and tells local kids that Santa had a stroke. And his miserly, bah-humbug attitude lasts year-round—a fact known all too well by his current wife, his ex-wife, his maid, and many more.

Scotty thinks he can stage a comeback with the screenplay he’s working on (The Return of Tiny Tim: Vengeance Is Mine!), and Jaine’s been reluctantly helping him edit it. So when Scotty is bludgeoned with a frozen chocolate yule log and the police start making a list of suspects and checking it twice, Jaine’s name is unfortunately included. True, she’s been under some stress, with Lance trying to set her up on dates and her fickle feline taking a sudden liking to someone else—but she’s not guilty of murder. Now she just has to prove it . .

DEATH OF A NEIGHBORHOOD SCROOGE (Jaine Austen Mystery, 16) by LAURA LEVINE (2018) | ISBN: 978-1-4967-0850-2 (USA Ed PB) | Publisher: Kensington

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 29, 2021
Oh, noodling noddies, thot this already registered with BookCrossing. Is now!

Sometimes, I recall authors names though not the details of the book of theirs I read. This was the case here, so not much to report bar an undemanding read. Happily featured within is a ginger tabby though said tabby, Prozac does not garner enough page time to satisfy me. Again, the reported humour didn't light me up however happily, and as previously the illustrator Hiro Kimura did a fabulous job with our feline ginger companion on the cover. Pleasingly a festive offering when I have a couple of Christmas BookCrossing projects on the go - Hurrah! Deck the halls, etc ...

OK onto next reader...

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Already with it's intended recipient who is kindly holding off making a 'caught' journal entry till I have officially made a 'release' journal entry! Book 2 of an ADVENT CALENDAR OF BOOKCROSSING BOOKS SENT TO SOMERSET and the second book pander to a festive theme. How could I resist!

FESTIVE GREETINGS from rainbow3. ��😃

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
An exceedingly late journaling of the parts of the Advent Calendar of Books received in December 2021. Apologies rainbow3, these have been awaiting journaling for ages, forgotten about, remembered again, forgotten again and only now have finally I got around to these!

Another I do not think will wait too long on tbr!

Journal Entry 5 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2022
An easy read for a slightly fraught time when concentration seems elusive. I have read Laura Levine before so I should have known how light these books are but somehow I'd forgotten.

Actually I have to agree with rianbow3 regarding her review below as this is undemanding, very light and I too missed the humour (though I think I lack a sense of humour so perhaps someone else would find it humorous). The basic idea of the plotline is fine just not fully elaborated on and I found it difficult to believe the lackadaisical way that Jaine 'solved' this murder. Still, the book was enjoyable and a good fill in book.

I have a plan for this book so watch this space .......

Journal Entry 6 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, January 8, 2023
Submitted into the tender care of the Christmas Bookbox to continue its travels.

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 3, 2023
Arrived in the Christmas Bookbox, thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2023
Jaine Austen and neighbour Lance spend Christmas house-sitting a wealthy woman's mansion. Jaine's cat Prozac ends up staying nearby, with the wife of Scotty Parker, a miserly former child-star who is mean to everyone and hated by all. When Scotty gets murdered, Jaine's print is on the murder weapon, and she needs to investigate to clear her name. Humorously told, I was especially amused when Jaine thanks her guardian angels Ben and Jerry for being well-padded enough to avoid injury in a fall. :)

Journal Entry 9 by winggreenbadgerwing at Christmas Market in Bath, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/6/2023 UTC) at Christmas Market in Bath, Somerset United Kingdom

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found. It is always a joy to find where it has gone. You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining (free with no strings) please consider using greenbadger or anyone else who has journaled the book as your referrer.
I don't get anything from this except for the pleasure of watching my books travel and knowing that they are giving pleasure to others.
Keep the book for as long as you like, and when you are done with it please pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 7, 2024
Weak