THE WRONG BOY

by Willy Russell | Entertainment | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingkiki66wing of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 10/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingkiki66wing from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 16, 2021
The hilarious, bittersweet novel from the playwright behind EDUCATING RITA, SHIRLEY VALENTINE and award-winning musical BLOOD BROTHERS.

Dear Morrissey,
I'm feeling dead depressed and down. Like a streetlamp without a bulb or a goose at the onset of Christmas time.
Anyroad, I thought I'd pen a few lines to someone who'd understand...

It's 1991. Raymond Marks is a normal boy, from a normal family, in a normal northern town. Only lately, he's been feeling dead down. His dad left home after falling in love with a five-string banjo. His fun-hating grandma believes she should have married Jean-Paul Sartre: 'I could never read his books, but y' could tell from his picture, there was nothing frivolous about John-Paul Sartre.' Felonious Uncle Jason and Appalling Aunty Paula are lusting after the satellite dish.

And so he turns to the one person who'll understand what he's going through: Morrissey. Told through a series of heartfelt letters to the frontman of The Smiths, this is a laugh-out-loud funny, incredibly poignant tale from a character you can't help but love.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 16, 2021
I don't know how this one ended up on my bookshelf... I haven't read it, don't want to.. so I got it probably from a friend, but she's a bookcrosser, too, so why didn't she register it??

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, October 22, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (10/22/2021 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

The wrong boy is on his way to the (hopefully) right girl ;-)

Happy travelling!

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, November 2, 2021
The book is here, thank you!! Never heard of this book before but it sounds quite amusing

Journal Entry 5 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, August 12, 2022
Oh dear, was I wrong - this wasn't amusing, but rather tragic and bloody depressing! Half the time I wasn't sure if I enjoyed it or not, but I did want to finish it, so I guess in some ways I did. Quite a weird book, to put it mildly.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at BC tapaaminen Tampere in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, November 5, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (11/5/2022 UTC) at BC tapaaminen Tampere in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

At the meet-up

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, November 5, 2022
I took the book at meet-up. It seemed familiar somehow. We'll see...

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 8, 2023
Okay, the book wasn't familiar after all. Also, it's described as funny and comic but I agree with sakirmo: it's mostly very sad. Raymond just doesn't seem to catch a break, and I hate that people are such bigots in it. (It's also sad that nowadays even Morrissey isn't what he used to be, and I think Raymond would feel bad about it.) I did read the book though, and I quite liked the ending. Not among the best reads of the year anyway. I'm left with mixed feelings about this one.

Released 3 mos ago (11/30/2023 UTC) at Pääkirjasto Metso, vaihtohylly/ book swap in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

In the library book-swap shelf next to the cafe.