The End of Food

by Paul Roberts | Nonfiction |
Registered by 367AllOutsInn of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/24/2024
Journal Entry 1 by 367AllOutsInn from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 24, 2024
Good insight to the background issues we face today and in the future of the Food supply chain.

Journal Entry 2 by 367AllOutsInn at Little Free Library, Pine Hill Rd in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Pine Hill Rd in Hollis, New Hampshire USA

Great free library on my walk. I hope the book keeps walking!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 1, 2024
Was pleased to find this softcover in the LFL today when I stopped by to drop off some books of my own!

Later: the book came out in 2008, but feels all too current. The author touches on a variety of issues related to food production and distribution, from the ecological damage caused by large-scale monoculture and beef production to epidemics - and highlighting the ways in which there are still food deserts in the world where starvation is rife, while other regions waste unimaginable quantities of food. There are suggestions for ways - both individual and by public policy - to ameliorate the worst problems, but they won't happen by themselves.

[For other food-related discourse, see The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. That one's focused on individual choices, but the examples of sustainable agriculture could be models for the future. ]

Released 1 mo ago (3/9/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Acorn Park Drive in Acton, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Released for: