The Year of Living Danishly

Sleepy lockdown cat
Registered by wingPoodlesisterwing of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 11/6/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingPoodlesisterwing from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 6, 2021
Bought in a charity shop

Journal Entry 2 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, November 11, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (11/12/2021 UTC) at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going into Round 2 of the Non-Fiction Bookbox, one of Plum-Crazy's wishlist books so hopefully she spots it.

Hello!
Happy Bookcrossing!

Join UK Bookcrossers at the Newcastle Unconvention from 1st-3rd October 2021

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 17, 2021
Thank you so much for putting this in your non-fiction bookbox - yes, I snapped it up! Looking forward to it & visiting Denmark ����

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 11, 2022
I think this is the first non-fiction book I've read where I haven't just dipped in & out of it, often putting it down for days at a time – in this case I just kept on reading! From the off I liked the author's easy style of writing (which I found reminiscent of Marian Keyes in her "Under the Duvet" days) & the book chronicles her year in Denmark (as the title suggests!) with each chapter covering a different month & a different aspect of life eg: leisure time in March or traditions in May.

It's an easy read for the most part, with much of it in a breezy, chatty manner interspersed with interviews with Danish experts or acquaintances. It's both interesting & amusing to compare the differences between Danish & British life (though I suspect many generalisations have been made: I mean not everyone in Denmark can be so tidy surely?) And let's not forget the difficulties of moving to a country where you don't speak the language. Luckily, the Danish speak excellent English, even if sometimes things don't quite translate…..
"Choir mistress attempts to give me some direction in English but suspect something is lost in translation. Highlights include: "Think like a fish!", "Remember, you have potatoes in your mouth!" and "Pretend your bottom is bigger!" :o)

One thing I liked in particular is the trust that the Danish have in each other, planning for a positive outcome rather than the worse to happen.
"But because (the Danes) believe that their compatriots are, on the whole, "good people" who are "like them" and "to be trusted", they feel safe and behave as though they live in a world without danger .This makes them happy and more inclined to behave in a community-minded way. And so their trust is rewarded. And so on – until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy."

Overall, it was a very enjoyable read although I would have liked a few photos added – especially the one taken of the New Year furniture jumping!

After thought:
The four strapping Vikings (mmmm) who helped the couple unload their belongings apparently asked the couple..."…what we think of David Cameron’s hair (which, I learn, is a great source of hilarity over here)" …which begs the question: what on earth do they make of Boris' unruly mop?!

Read as part of my "Set-It-Yourself" Non-fiction Challenge 2022
Book#2 (target 12)

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at 2022 UK Birthday Group, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 17, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (3/17/2022 UTC) at 2022 UK Birthday Group, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist book to help celebrate a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Journal Entry 6 by wingHerbertLoobywing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, April 25, 2022
Exciting! Thanks so much (and I was thinking of you at the weekend as I was in Walthamstow high street looking for fabric!)

Journal Entry 7 by winggillsilwing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Received as part of the 12 days of Christmas exchange.
This one I have already read (or rather listened to as an audio book so I will be releasing it soon for someone else to enjoy.