Why I Killed My Best Friend

by Amanda Michalopoulou | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1934824747 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingechodewing of Seattle, Washington USA on 1/21/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingechodewing from Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, January 21, 2023
Impulse buy in the clearance section of Third Place Books @Lake Forest Park. Oh the dangers of waiting for someone at a bookstore!

Journal Entry 2 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, March 6, 2023
Odiosamato

I love that the book introduced me to this word, Italian for the modern equivalent of 'frienemies', it encapsulates the political and the personal. While I was a bit lost in the countless demonstrations and elections in Greece (and a bit bored by Anna's husband's speech on architecture) the lifelong relationship between the two main characters buoyed me to the end. An interesting look at how we can ruin the things we love; and in death, reflect through rose-colored glasses.

Journal Entry 3 by wingechodewing at Arnotdale House OBCZ in Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 17, 2023

Released 10 mos ago (6/17/2023 UTC) at Arnotdale House OBCZ in Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

Placing on the book buffet table @ the 2023 convention in Falkirk.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLivrespublicwing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 17, 2023
Taken from the book buffet. Thanks for bringing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLivrespublicwing at Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Sunday, July 23, 2023
The two girls who have been living abroad for different reasons met in primary school when returning with their mothers to Athens in the seventies. The two become best friends. But their relationship is not without conflict: Anna is dominant and moody, Maria level-headed and in some way devoted. When they meet as adults a few years later, a lot has changed….

Descriptions of the past and present and scenarios in Athens and Paris alternate in chapters and offer a kind of discussion platform for possible forms of political resistance.

Even though it has been published in 2003, it contains frighteningly real scenarios, such as the disastrous financial crisis.

Interesting for me that it has only be translated into German in 2022 ( and the covers of the German versions are not very tempting), so great that it has been translated by Open Letter into English almost a decade ago.
Thanks to echode for bringing this special book to Falkirk!

Journal Entry 6 by wingLivrespublicwing at Parc de Bercy in -Paris 12e, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, September 21, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (9/23/2023 UTC) at Parc de Bercy in -Paris 12e, Ile-de-France France

This book will be released in Paris at the MBC 2023 Paris Bercy.
Part of the plot is in Paris and one of the main characters moves from Paris to Athens.

Journal Entry 7 by Dutchblad at -Paris 12e, Ile-de-France France on Monday, September 25, 2023
I took this book at the end of the MBC meeting in Paris. It will travel onward via our street library or as wild release
At registering my find it turned out to be put on BC by the lovely Echode.

Journal Entry 8 by Dutchblad at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2024 UTC) at Kelderman en van Noort in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Have fun reading this book and remember to set it free again once you've finished it.
MAKE THE WORLD A LIBRARY

Journal Entry 9 by wingInge1990wing at Rhenen, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, March 3, 2024
Wil be going to another reader via me who loves to read English detectives and thrillers. She will help them travel along after that.
Hopefully you won't be a stranger dear book! Let us know how you are doing!