Tea from an Empty Cup

by Pat Cadigan | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0812541979 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 3/1/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Monday, March 1, 2021
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

I've been meaning to read this for a long time, but I am reading most books on my Kindle now since my eyesight is not great, so this copy is going to go traveling.

A wandering book -- the karma of literature!

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, March 1, 2021

Released 3 yrs ago (3/2/2021 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Going traveling in the Apocalyptic book box. Happy travels!

Bookcrossing is the practice of leaving a book in a public place for someone else to "catch". Why? Cuz books just wanna have fun! Enjoy the serendipity and head over to the bookcrossing.com website to let me know you caught this book!

Bookcrossing is family-friendly and a great hobby πŸ˜€

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Tuesday, May 11, 2021
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

This book traveled to the end of the line in The Bookbox of the Apocalypse.

🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟 ☠️ 🧟

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 28, 2023
I'm not sure why I kept this book. I didn't realize it was cyberpunk. I do like some cyberpunk, but alas, this is one that I just couldn't get into.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, February 15, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/15/2024 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

πŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘Ύ

One of the starting books for the To the Stars: A Science Fiction Bookbox 3.0!

πŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘½ πŸ€– πŸ‘Ύ

Description:
"How can you drink tea from an empty cup?"

That ancient Zen riddle holds the key to a baffling young man found with his throat slashed while locked alone in a virtual reality parlor.

The secret of this enigmatic death lies in an apocalyptic cyberspace shadow-world where nothing is certain, and even one's own identity can change in an instant.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 23, 2024
I'm claiming this book from the To the Stars: A Science Fiction Bookbox 3.0.

Later: OK, I wasn't prepared for this one to open the way it did - two guys, neither of them very pleasant, bickering over a potential shady-sounding deal at a very retro bar somewhere in a future world (or cyberspace world), with one telling a much-abbreviated version of the Japanese creation myth featuring Amaterasu and her brother, while the other keeps interrupting... Yeah, not where I'd imagined this would go! Though the opening line "Why would anybody become a prostitute?" does rather hint at what's coming next. There's a murder of someone who was in the virtual-reality world at the time, and was apparently murdered there as well as in real life - but did the one cause the other (something that shouldn't be possible), and why was he the target?

This part of the plot mingles with another plot-thread about a woman trying to find her boyfriend, whom she fears has effectively sold himself in exchange for more time in the cyberworld.

There are shifting viewpoints - with some kickers as to which characters will turn out to be the ones who were bickering in the first chapter - and some interesting (if sometimes baffling and/or headache-inducing) descriptions of the cyber-life as implemented here. Overall I didn't really get caught up in it; felt like more work than I wanted to put in. (I did get a chuckle out of some of the punny mis-namings - and the surprise appearance of the term bunraku, traditionally a type of puppet show, but here used to indicate how Old Japan will be restored. I was pleased that I knew what the word meant, and it did work well with the plot.)

So... not really my thing, but it definitely had its points - though it did NOT make me want to participate in this kind of virtual reality at all!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Cathedral Ave in Rockport, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 26, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/27/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Cathedral Ave in Rockport, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library - with an ocean view, yet! - while enjoying a drive around the coast of Cape Ann on this beautiful day. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Released for: