Call for the Dead

by John le Carré | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780141198286 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingestelle1806wing of Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on 11/8/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingestelle1806wing from Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, November 8, 2020
You have found a travelling book, enjoy it and release it!

Vous avez trouvé un livre voyageur, lisez-le et libérez-le !

Travelling with a few bookmarks, enjoy the wishlist book and congrats on your win!

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2021
Oh wow thank you. This is a treat to receive. I added it to my wishlist as I'm a bit fan of Le Carre's main Smiley trilogy. I had a quick peak at the first couple of paragraphs in this and I love it already.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 5, 2021
A quick, very enjoyable read. It's strange reading about George Smiley as a new character when he feels so familiar after Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, etc. But the extra background information fleshed him out nicely. I must reread the Smiley trilogy one day.

This novel (or perhaps novella?) was short but clever. No words are wasted, which is one of the things I like about Le Carre's writing. There was an unusual amount of direct danger within the plot compared most Le Carre work which surprised me, but it's still a long, long way from James Bond. The scene in the theatre towards the end was unusual but extremely tense, and I admit to being caught out by the final twists later on.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 2, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (9/2/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to the winner of the Classics Sweepstake. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by dacejav at Tbilisi, Tbilisi Georgia on Friday, September 17, 2021
What a surprise! I had suspicions that I won the Royal Flush, but it appears I am also the decoy for the Classics Sweepstakes. Thank you!

Reserving it for the Alphabet VBB.

Journal Entry 7 by dacejav at Tbilisi, Tbilisi Georgia on Tuesday, December 21, 2021
I had not read any works by John le Carré, so I can't compare. I have The Constant Gardener at home, so will read that one soon. It was more a detective than a spy novel to me. It kept me guessing until the very end.
As I understand, it is the first book of Smiley novels. He is a loner. So I was a bit confused where the other two men - Mendel and Peter Guillam - came from and how well he knew them before and why they got so involved in this case.

Journal Entry 8 by dacejav at a Virtual BookBox (VBB), by hand -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (12/22/2021 UTC) at a Virtual BookBox (VBB), by hand -- Controlled Releases

Passing it to a friend who is travelling to the UK soon and will mail it from there.

Journal Entry 9 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Received from Alphabet VBB round 21. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 22, 2024
When George Smiley meets civil servant Samuel Fennan for a routine security check, and then Fennan commits suicide, Smiley is suspicious. The security check had gone well, and Smiley is convinced something else is going on. He begins an investigation which takes him back to his time in the service in Germany before the war. This is a fast-moving and brilliant spy thriller, taking the reader into the shadowy underworld where it's agent against agent and you can't trust your own team to back you.

Journal Entry 11 by winggreenbadgerwing at Beacons Way in Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/14/2024 UTC) at Beacons Way in Abergavenny, Wales United Kingdom

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found. It is always a joy to find where it has gone. You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining (free with no strings) please consider using greenbadger or anyone else who has journaled the book as your referrer.
I don't get anything from this except for the pleasure of watching my books travel and knowing that they are giving pleasure to others.
Keep the book for as long as you like, and when you are done with it please pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.